BSc Medical Laboratory Technology
BSc Medical Laboratory Technology is a paramedical program that offers practical and theoretical knowledge about the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of various kinds of diseases and health problems with the help of clinical laboratory tests. Medical Laboratory professionals play an important role in the diagnosis of the diseases and providing the best care and treatment available for it.
During the program, students learn to detect and diagnose diseases and learn about the different treatments available for them. They also acquire knowledge about the collection and sampling of important data, testing, documentation, and reporting for the same.
To excel in the program students should have good research skills and an ability to finish the task accurately. Students should also have a background and aptitude towards science, laboratory equipment, and instruments and the ability to use a computer and its applications effectively.
BSc in Medical Laboratory Technology Highlights
The basic details of B.Sc in Medical Laboratory Technology are given in the table below.
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent (preferred Science Stream)|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam/ Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 2 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 3.5 LPA to INR 6 LPA|
|Popular Job Roles||Laboratory Technician, Laboratory Manager, Medical Officer, Research Associate, Medical Record Technician, Resident Medical Officer,|
BSc MLT Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum Qualification Required: 10+2 or equivalent examination with science as a mandatory stream.
- Minimum Marks Required: 50%. This percentage may vary from college to college.
BSc MLT Admission Process: How to Apply?
BSc MLT course admissions are generally conducted based on entrance exams, followed by University counselling. However, some renowned institutes are also known to grant direct admissions to BSc MLT courses to candidates who qualify all the eligibility criteria for the same. The admission to BSc MLT based on merit is conducted based on the marks secured by the candidates in their qualifying examination.
Merit-based BSc MLT Admission:
- Once successfully applying for BSc MLT admission at the desired college, all candidates are required to appear for the University defined selection process.
- The merit list containing the names of all eligible candidates, along with their ranks, is released by the respective university prior to the commencement of the selection process.
- Finally, the counseling rounds will commence, followed by the choice-filling and locking process.
- Depending on the candidate’s rank in context to the merit list, and the availability of seats, they will be granted admission to their preferred institute for BSc MLT.
Entrance Exam-based BSc MLT Admission:
- Candidates are required to apply for the required entrance exam for BSc MLT admission as per the regulations of their choice of college.
- Once the entrance exam is over, the list of all qualified candidates is published by the conducting body in the form of a merit list.
- The counselling process for those qualified candidates will commence wherein each candidate is required to participate in the document verification process, choice-filling and locking.
- Lastly, based on their choices, candidates will be granted admission to their preferred institute, based purely on the rank and scores secured by them in the entrance exam.
B.Sc – Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) Syllabus
A detailed insight into the BSc MLT course syllabus has been mentioned below in the table:
|Human Anatomy||Biochemistry 1||Microbiology 1|
|Physiology 1||Subsidiary Subjects||Pathology 1|
|Biochemistry 2||Microbiology 2||Environmental Science & Health|
|Sociology||Pathology 2||Physiology 2|
|Ethic & Database Management||Research and Biostatistics||Biochemistry 3|
|Computer Applications||Pathology 3||Microbiology 3|
BSc MLT Scope
The scope of BSc MLT is widely spread across the country as we as abroad. It is also commonly known as one of the most popular courses in the field of medical science with a larger scope of prosperous career prospects. The scope of BSc MKT is mentioned below:
- BSc in Medical Laboratory Technology is considered as one of the most challenging and satisfying careers in today’s market, as it provides individuals an opportunity to learn new thing every day.
- A number of Medical Laboratory Technicians can find employment in pathology labs, research labs, urologist offices, pharmaceuticals, hospitals and in many other areas.
- Apart from the above opportunities, an aspirant can also pursue a career in the education line as lecturer/teacher.
- With the passing years, the course has multiplied in terms of what a student learns during the course, thereby multiplying the scope as well and the scope has expanded with a number of opportunities that have been on the rise.
- The Medical Laboratory Technology field includes areas such as blood banking, clinical chemistry, haematology, immunology, microbiology, cytotechnology, urine analysis, and blood sampling, etc. There are ‘n’ number of fields that can serve as suitable career options for the graduates.
BSc MLT Career Options and Job Prospects
Graduates after pursuing B.Sc in Medical Technology Laboratory have a wide range of job options both in government and the private sector. Medical Technologists are in a great demand for as they are a vital part of medical and research field.
At the start of their career, most of the students get employed as certified laboratory medical technician.The entry-level salary of a graduate is INR 2 LPA to INR 5 LPA. The salary packages for private hospitals and companies is higher than that of government research centres. However, with sufficient professional and educational experience they are hired as :
- Laboratory Manager
- Healthcare Administrator
- Hospital Outreach Coordinator
- Medical Officer
- Research Associate
- Resident Medical Officer
- Laboratory Information System Analyst
- Laboratory Testing Manager
BSc MLT Salary
Mentioned below is the BSc MLT Salary insights for interested candidates to scan through:
|JobRole||AverageBSc MLT Salary|
|Medical Record Technician||INR 4.3 LPA|
|Laboratory Manager||INR 2.4 LPA|
|Lab Assistant||INR 2 LPA|
|Medical Officer||INR 5.2 LPA|