BSc Operation Theatre Technology
BSc in Operational Theatre Technology is a professional undergraduate degree programme that is pursued by candidates after they have completed their higher secondary education with at least 45% to 50% marks in aggregate. Commonly referred to as BSc OTT or OT course, the ideal students for the course include those with a science background, specifically requiring them to get good scores in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their Class 12 board examinations. The total duration of the course is 3 years and also includes 6 months to 1-year internship period at the end of the course.
Across the country, the BSc Operation Theatre Technology course has been designed to instill the necessary skills and knowledge in managing and maintaining the Operation Theatre including sterilizations, disinfection, and much more. Therefore, if one wishes to be part of the healthcare sector, but not to become a doctor or nurse, then becoming an Operation Theatre Technician is the option for them.
The admission process for BSc Operation Theatre Technology includes passing entrance exams like BHU UET, JET, NPAT, and SUAT. The average course fee for BSc Operation Theatre Technology is from INR 5000 to INR 6,00,000. Hospitals and medical institutions across the country require professionals skilled and qualified to manage and operate an operation theatre. Therefore, the demand for such professionals is also at an all-time high, where they can help surgeons/physicians and nurses during different medical procedures. From being a lab technician to even a teacher or a faculty, the career prospects of a BSc OTT graduate in India is quite bright. After passing BSc Operation Theatre Technology, students can earn between INR 2,00,000 to INR 4,00,000 per annum.
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Course Highlights
Here are some of the highlights of BSc Operation Theatre Technology courses in India:
|Name of the Course||BSc Operation Theatre Technology|
|Duration||3 Years + Internship (varies)|
|Minimum Qualification Requirement||Class 12 Board Exam, Subjects required: Physics, Chemistry and Biology|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 2-4 LPA|
|Selection Process||Entrance Exams and Interviews|
|Popular Entrance Exams for BSc Operation Theatre Technology||JETBHU UETSUATCUETNPAT|
|Minimum Aggregate Required for BSc Operation Theatre Technology Admissions||50-60%|
|Major BSc Operation Theatre Technology Recruiters||Fortis, Indian Council of Medical Research, Max Healthcare, Apollo Hospital, Educational Institutions, etc.|
|Top BSc Operation Theatre Technology Colleges in India||All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)Christian Medical College (CMC)Jawaharlal Institute of Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)St John’s Medical College|
Why Choose BSc Operation Theatre Technology?
For those reluctant in choosing the course for the Bachelor’s studies in the country, there are several reasons why opting for this course can prove beneficial to them. Listed below are some reasons why one should study BSc Operation Theatre Technology in India:
- Job Satisfaction: Being part of the healthcare industry, offering assistance to different healthcare professionals, conduct medical procedures in a safe and organised manner can be highly satisfactory. The individual’s involvement in ensuring the smooth and efficient functioning of the Operation Theatres in hospitals is of utmost importance.
- Good Salary Packages: While it may not seem so, BSc Operation Theatre Technology graduates can earn good salary packages in different roles. Depending on the roles they take on, their salaries and career prospects can be extremely fruitful.
- Career Opportunities: From different job roles to career growth opportunities, BSc Operation Theatre Technology graduates have immense job opportunities throughout their careers. With additional education, they can further expand their career prospects and growth opportunities as well.
What is B.Sc Operation Theatre Technology Course?
BSc Operation Theatre Technology is a profession oriented course. Some of the features of this course are discussed below:
- This course enables the students to assist doctors in operation rooms.
- Students learn the skill of using several surgical instruments.
- Professional graduates of BSc Operation Theatre Technology are eligible to work in the management sector of any medical establishment.
- After completing BSc Operation Theatre Technology, candidates have the opportunity to pursue their higher studies in foreign countries.
- Salary after completing BSc Operation Theatre Technology is also high along with additional benefits.
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Course Admission Process
As highlighted above, the admission process for the BSC Operation Theatre Technology courses in India will be unique to each college offering the course. However, there are some general requirements that all aspirants will be asked to complete at any college offering the course. Listed here are those processes.
- Colleges will select students based on their entrance test scores, which will either be conducted at the national, state or university level. Therefore, check the eligibility requirements for the course before sending in the application form.
- Some colleges may accept students based purely on their Class 12 board examinations.
- In colleges where the entrance test has been conducted by the university itself, candidates may be asked to sit for an interview process as well.
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Entrance Exams
Similar to other professional and paramedical courses offered at the undergraduate level in India, candidates will have to appear for some sort of entrance test to enrol in a BSc Operation Theatre Technology course. Listed below are a few BSc Operation Theatre Technology entrance exams that candidates may need to attempt:
- JET – Jain Entrance Test (Jain University)
- An entrance exam or undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Jain University, students will need to take the test to become eligible for the course this year. Students interested in the programme will also be asked to appear for a group discussion and personal interview apart from appearing for a 3-hour test.
- BHU UET – BHU Undergraduate Entrance Test
- An undergraduate test conducted by the renowned Banaras Hindu University, BHU UET is the test aspirants will have to take to study the course at the university. With a minimum of 50-60% aggregate marks in the Class 12 board examinations, aspirants will have to apply for the BHU UET, while ensuring they meet all other requirements and eligibility for the course as well.
- SUAT – Sharda University Admission Test
- Admissions to most courses at Sharda University, a nationally acclaimed university, is done based on the scores obtained by applicants in the Sharda University Admission Test, also called SUAT. Similar to other bachelor courses, candidates will need to have cleared the class 12 board examination and secured a minimum of 50-60% in the finals to attempt the test.
- CUET – Common University Entrance Test
- Offering the opportunity to allow aspirants to apply to all central-run universities across different states, CUET is conducted by the NTA and NIC. The CUET UG is being introduced for students, especially from rural areas to receive equal opportunities to apply and study at different participating universities across the country and receive a quality education as well.
- NPAT – National Test for Programs After Twelfth
- Organized by the Deemed-to-be University NMIMS for the purpose of allowing students to apply to a variety of courses offered by the higher education institution. Aspirants will usually be required to have cleared their Class 12 board exams with Maths and Statistics as compulsory subjects apart from meeting the course-specific requirements as well.
Most universities require candidates to sit for university-specific entrance tests to qualify for admission. However, this will vary as per the university. Therefore, check the admission requirements for the BSc Operation Theatre Technology course before applying.
B.Sc Operation Theatre Technology Course Cutoff
The B.Sc Operation Theatre Technology Course Cutoff depends on several factors and changes every year. There are several national and university level entrance exams that are conducted for the purpose of admission to the B.Sc Operation Theatre Technology Course. Some of the determinants of cutoff marks are; the overall attendance of students during the exam, the difficulty level of the exam, the question paper pattern, and the number of seats available for admission purposes.
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Course Eligibility Criteria
Applicants planning to study the BSc Operation Theatre Technology course in India need to ensure that they meet the respective eligibility criteria for the course. Listed here are some general requirements one needs to meet to be selected by the top universities in the country:
- Candidates should clear Class 12 Board exams from CBSE, ICSE or any other state board.
- Candidates should have received a minimum of 60-70% in their board examinations, especially in Physics, Chemistry and Biology courses.
- Candidates will have to attempt an entrance test for paramedical courses either conducted at the national, state or University level. The entrance test requirements will be unique to different colleges offering the courses.
- Candidates may also be required to sit for an interview process at the university level as part of the overall selection process.
As evident, the candidate selection for the BSc course will be unique to each college offering the course. Therefore, be sure to check the admission and selection process for the desired college and course before sending in the application form.
Top BSc Operation Theatre Technology Colleges
Candidates interested in pursuing BSc OTT course in India can out this list of Top BSc Operation Theatre Technology Colleges in India:
- JIPMER Puducherry
- Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Ambala
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune
- School of Nursing and Health Sciences, Noida International University, Noida
- Guru Gobind Singh Medical College and Hospital, Faridkot
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Institute of Medical and Research Centre – AIIMS
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Lingaya’s Vidyapeeth, Faridabad
There are several colleges and institutes that offer BSc Operation Theatre Technology courses to students from across the country. The ones listed above are just a few of the top universities in the country.
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Course Fee
The course fees for B.Sc Operation Theatre Technology in India will vary depending on several factors such as the type of institution, the demand for the course, the reputation of the institution offering the course, the academic and professional training offered and much more. Listed in the table below is the range of BSc Operation Theatre Technology course fees that students may have to pay at government and private medical institutions for the course.
|Type of Institution||Est. Annual Course Fee (in INR)|
|Public Medical Colleges||5,000 – 1,50,000|
|Private Medical Colleges||20,000 – 6,00,000|
The course fees listed above have been offered for reference purposes only. Some universities may charge above the range mentioned in the table above. However, a large majority of the universities and colleges offering the course will be offering the BSc Operation Theatre Technology course with the specified range.