Fashion design is the art of applying design, aesthetics, clothing construction and natural beauty to clothing and its accessories. It is influenced by culture and different trends, and has varied over time and place. “A fashion designer creates clothing, including dresses, suits, pants, and skirts, and accessories like shoes and handbags, for consumers. He or she can specialize in clothing, accessory, or jewelry design, or may work in more than one of these areas.”
What is a fashion designing course?
The fashion industry is booming and providing opportunities for fashion graduates. Fashion design is a programme consisting of various specialisations such as Fashion Designing, Accessory Designing, Fashion Management, Textile Designing, Apparel Production and many more similar domains.
Fashion designers often have a bachelor’s degree in fashion design. To gain hands-on experience, students enrol for internships with design and textile companies. The overall industrial exposure helps the fashion designers to create their portfolio. To enrol in the fashion design degree and diploma courses, you need the minimum eligibility of 10+2 exam or equivalent from a recognised board. After a bachelor’s degree in Fashion Design from a known university, students can pursue masters with any specialisation of their interest. There are certification courses available in fashion design after 10th grade.
Note- According to the new education policy, students can choose design courses along with physics and chemistry also (As an optional).
What is the role of a fashion designer?
Nowadays people are very much particular about what they wear. It has created a high demand for fashion designers in the industry. Fashion designers are significant players in the design industry for the production of innovative designs. Fashion designers are primarily responsible for creating varieties of clothing and accessories using their creative and technical skills. Fashion designers must always stay informed of current trends and forecast future styles along with sketching and constructing original products. The roles and responsibilities of a fashion designer may include what does a fashion designer do overseeing teams of designers or other team members to make various designs a reality and then marketing their designs in the market.
What is fashion design management?
An interior design rendering is a 3D scale drawing of the proposed design. The purpose of the rendering is to give clients an accurate picture of what is possible and how the finished product will look like. The client can then approve the design or ask for changes if there are any. With other methods and techniques of interior design, rendering is also an important planning tool for designers.
The tool lets you know what elements such as structural components, furniture and appliances will be placed in the space and exactly how it will be. Renderings offer clients value as it helps the clients to understand the designer’s 3D plan. To have a better vision of what the real finished space will look like, clients can take a virtual walkthrough of the space with a digital interior rendering. 3D models help the interior designers to effectively communicate designs to their clients which in return increases the possibility of approval. Rendering is a potent tool for visualisation of the future outlook of the space, which also shifts the control in the hands of clients, enabling them to alter or transform the design space.
What is fashion design technology?
Fashion design technology shares similarities with fashion design. Fashion technology primarily focuses on the study of fabric types and suitability, design and aesthetics but with more of a technical bent. Fashion technology deals with core garment manufacturing technology and is more involved in apparel production. Fashion technologists work on the development of products, improving production efficiency and quality, while also develop connections with those involved in the production process.
Some of the everyday tasks a fashion design technologist has to carry out are:
Experimenting with textiles to improve look, feel, and durability of the material.
Identifying the latest fabric trends, developments, and innovations. Also, overseeing the dyeing, printing, and finishing processes.
Sourcing fabrics and accessories.
Undertaking quality evaluations of materials and the final product.
What is fashion design engineering?
A fashion engineer applies engineering principles in designing and manufacturing of textiles. The engineering principles are also applied in fibre products, designing machinery, as well as tools and equipment used in the fashion & textile industry. Fashion engineers carry out regular research and analyse the changes in the lifestyle of individuals around the world to develop new trends in fashion designing. Fashion engineers are not restricted to a particular aspect of fashion and carry out multiple roles. They deal with diverse applications of science in design, the production and maintenance of textile products, the overall efficiency of the process. Thus the fashion engineering program is broadly classified in fashion, textile, garments as well as computers and management.
Fashion Designing Course Highlights
A fashion designing school can be a stepping stone for those who want to build a name for themselves in the fashion business, providing them with the information, skills, and confidence they need to succeed. Candidates can check the key points related to the Fashion Designing course in the table below such as course level, entrance exams, average salary, top institutes, top job profiles and recruiters:
|Course Level||Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diploma, Certificate|
|Eligibility||For Certificate/Diploma course: 10+2 in any streamFor Undergraduate courses-10+2 in any stream|
For Postgraduate courses- Bachelor’s degree in design
|Duration||Certificate: 1 yearDiploma: 3 yearsUG: 4 yearsPG: 2 years|
|Course Fee||For UG – Up to 12 lakhFor PG – Up to 8 lakh|
|Top Colleges||Amity University, NIFT Mumbai, NIFT , Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pearl academy , JD Institute of Fashion technology|
|Average Salary||Up to INR 15 lakh|
|Job Positions||Fashion Designer, Fashion Marketer, Fashion Concept Manager, Quality Controller, Fashion Consultant/Personal Stylist, Technical Designer, Fashion Coordinator, and Fashion Show Organisers|
|Entrance Exams||NIFT, NID, Pearl Academy Entrance Exam, CEED,IIAD Entrance Exam, WUD Entrance Exam, etc.|
|Top Recruiters||Raymonds, Benetton, Arvind Garments, ITC Ltd., Levis, Lifestyle, Madura Garments, Modelama Exports, Omega Designs, Orient Craft, etc.|
Fashion Design can be coupled with other design-specialized courses such as interior design, graphic design, and jewellery design.
|Textile Design Courses||Interior Design Courses||Graphic Design Courses|
|Fashion Technology Courses||Fashion Illustration Courses||Fashion PR Courses|
|Fashion Communication Courses||Jewellery Design Courses||–|
Fashion Designing Eligibility
The eligibility criteria to pursue a fashion designing course varies depending on the course level, college and mode of education. The general eligibility requirements are as follows.
- Students must pass the 10+2 exam with a 50% aggregate score to be eligible for entrance exams for fashion design course admission like NIFT, NID, CEED, and UCEED.
- Apart from meeting the qualifying requirements, a candidate with creative abilities and a desire to create clothing and accessories should enrol in fashion design courses.
- The leading fashion design schools, such as the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), have their own set of eligibility criteria and admission process, which can be found by clicking on the links below.
|NIFT Delhi Admission 2024||NIFT Bangalore Admission 2024||NIFT Chennai Admission 2024|
|NIFT Patna Admission 2024||NIFT Gandhinagar Admission 2024||NIFT Hyderabad Admission 2024|
Types of Fashion Designing Course After 12th
Aspirants may seek a career as a fashion designer after completing their 12th grade in arts, science, or commerce. A student who has passed their class 12th boards can apply for a diploma in fashion design, but a student must have completed a bachelor of fashion design with appropriate aggregate marks to be considered for a Post Graduation in Fashion Design.
Also Check: Fashion Design Course Fees
|UG Course||PG Course|
|Bachelor of Design (BDes)||Master of Design (MDes)|
|Bachelor of Fashion Technology||Master of Fashion Management (MFM)|
|–||Master of Fashion Technology (MFTech)|
Diploma in Fashion Designing
The duration of a diploma in fashion designing varies from one to two years, during which students are simply taught the practical skills required to pursue a career in fashion design, with little to no emphasis on theoretical knowledge.
- A fashion design diploma and a postgraduate diploma in fashion designing, as well as allied subjects such as textile design, are among the courses provided in India by institutes such as the International Institute of Fashion Technology, Pearl Academy, and others.
- To pursue a fashion design diploma, the applicant must have completed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board.
- A bachelor of fashion design with 50% of grades from a recognized university is necessary for a PG diploma in fashion design courses.
- This course is open to individuals who have earned a three-year bachelor of fashion design in any subject from a recognized institution.
- Some institutions require candidates to take a written exam followed by personal interviews, while others offer students direct admission.
The table below mentions various diplomas in fashion design in India and top colleges and fashion design course fees.
|Fashion Designing Course||College Name||Fashion Design Course Fee|
|One-Year Diploma in Fashion Design||Vogue Institute of Art and Design||INR 95,580 – 1,77,000|
|Pearl Academy, Bangalore||INR 18,90,000 – 26,75,000|
|NIFT Delhi||INR 2,50,000|
|NIFT Mumbai||INR 4,00,000|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 4,45,000|
|New Delhi YMCA||INR 85,000|
|Pearl Academy, Rajouri Garden||INR 24,91,000 – 26,75,000|
|JD Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||INR 1,55,000 – 5,25,000|
|Government Polytechnic Pune||INR 22,850|
|Periyar University, Salem||INR 4,620 – 7,220|
|PG Diploma in Fashion Design||DOT School of Design, Chennai||INR 90,000 – 1,80,000|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 2,25,000|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Avadh University||INR 10,000|
|Garware Institute of Career Education and Development, Mumbai||INR 2,25,000|
Bachelor of Fashion Design
Bachelor of Fashion Design is full-time courses available as BDes, BSc, and BA Fashion Design or related specializations.
- Admission to these fashion design courses is based on entrance examinations conducted at state and national levels while some colleges prefer to offer admission based on merit.
- Admission to the BSc fashion design course is done through merit and entrance examinations based on the institute.
- AIEED, AIFD, CEED, USED, and other institutes’ admission exams include AIEED, AIFD, CEED, USED, and others.
- Entrance examinations are required for admission to the Bachelor of Fashion Design; however, some institutes provide merit-based admission.
- Admission to BA in Fashion Design programs is based on academic achievement.
- Clearing class 12th with a minimum of 50% aggregate is required to sit for the entrance tests.
- Depending on the institute, these fashion design courses might last anywhere from three to four years.
- The table below shows the UG fashion design course given by top fashion design institutes in India, as well as the average fashion design course.
|Fashion Designing Courses||Fashion Designing Colleges||Fashion Design Course Fees|
|BSc Fashion Design||SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai||INR 1,90,000|
|Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore||INR 4,70,000|
|NIFT Delhi||INR 2,50,000|
|NIFT Mumbai||INR 3,00,000|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 5,45,000|
|Times & Trends Academy, Koregaon Park||INR 99,000 – INR 2,97,000|
|Vogue Institute of Art and Design, Bangalore||INR 95,580 – INR 10,74,000|
|LISAA School of Design, Bangalore||INR 1,50,000|
|BDes||School of Design, Sushant University||INR 17,12,000|
|Parul University||INR 8,00,000|
|NIFT Delhi||INR 5,63,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Mumbai||INR 5,63,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|Amity University, Jaipur||INR 4,87,000 – INR 9,67,000|
|UPES Dehradun||INR 18,78,000|
|BVoc Fashion Design||Arch College of Design and Business, Jaipur||INR 5,40,000|
|Periyar University||INR 29,240|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Avadh University||INR 45,000|
|Alagappa University, Karaikudi||INR 17,100|
|Poornima University, Jaipur||INR 1,70,000|
|DEI – Dayalbagh Educational Institute||INR 17,150|
|Pondicherry University||INR 50,270|
|BA Fashion Design||Whistling Woods International Institute of Film, Communication, and Creative Arts||INR 11,500|
|U P Rajarshi Tandon Open University||INR 10,500|
|Thiruvalluvar University||INR 16,200|
|K.R. Mangalam University||INR 5,98,000|
|Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery, Mumbai||INR 7,50,000|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||INR 1,43,000|
|Shri Govind Guru University||INR 1,25,000|
|Central India Institute of Mass Communication||INR 16,000|
|IIAD New Delhi||–|
|BFTech||NIFT Delhi||INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Mumbai||INR 5,63,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Kolkata||INR 5,45,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Bangalore||INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Hyderabad||INR 6,07,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Patna||INR 5,03,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|NIFT Gandhinagar||INR 6,07,000 – INR 11,09,000|
|BE/BTech in Fashion Design||HBTU Kanpur – Harcourt Butler Technical University||INR 5,17,000|
|College of Engineering and Technology, Biju Patnaik University of Technology||INR 1,78,000 – INR 2,35,000|
|Madhav Institute of Technology and Science||INR 3,23,000|
|Vellore Institute of Technology, Chennai, VIT University||INR 9,92,000|
|Bannari Amman Institute of Technology||INR 2,00,000|
|D.K.T.E. Society’s Textile and Engineering Institute||INR 3,36,000|
|NGF College of Engineering and Technology||INR 76,000 – INR 2,46,000|
|BFA||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi||INR 5,63,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||INR 5,63,000|
|University of Mumbai||INR 1,22,000|
|International Institute of Fine Arts (IIFA, Ghaziabad)||INR 1,08,000 – INR 2,21,000|
|Netaji Subhas University of Technology||INR 8,44,000|
|SVSU – Swami Vivekanand Subharti University||INR 2,13,000|
|Axis Colleges||INR 3,63,000|
|IIAD New Delhi||–|
|BBA Fashion Design/Fashion Management||International College of Fashion||INR 7,36,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology, Naraina||INR 3,06,000|
|Footwear Design and Development Institute||INR 6,04,000|
|Cresta School of Management, Science and Arts||INR 2,35,000|
Masters in Fashion Design
- A master’s degree in Fashion Design lets students specialize in a particular domain like Fashion Management, Footwear Design, Textile Design, etc.
- Students with a BDes/BA/BSc degree in fashion design are eligible for a master’s degree in Fashion Design.
- The admission process is either merit-based or based on entrance exams like NIFT, CEED, SOFT, etc.
The following table lists the popular postgraduate Fashion Design courses, top Fashion Design colleges, and the average course fee.
|Fashion Designing Course||Fashion Designing Colleges||Fashion Design Course Fees|
|MSc Fashion Design||Lovely Professional University||INR 3,06,000|
|Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University||INR 5,550|
|Bharathiar University, Coimbatore||INR 34,290|
|Bangalore University||INR 18,040|
|MDes (Fashion Design)||Parul University||INR 1,80,000|
|International School of Design, Kolkata||INR 1,70,000 – INR 1,79,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai||INR 5,35,000|
|Lovely Professional University||INR 3,06,000|
|MBA Fashion Design/PGDM||Pearl Academy, South Delhi||INR 8,60,000|
|Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International School of Textiles and Management||INR 2,60,000|
|Footwear Design and Development Institute||INR 5,18,000|
|ASBM University||INR 6,96,000|
|Pearl Academy, Rajouri Garden||INR 12,90,000|
|MA Fashion Design||Amity University, Noida||INR 2,60,000|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education||INR 1,48,000|
|Thiruvalluvar University||INR 14,700|
|Davangere University||INR 19,590|
|Apeejay Institute of Design||INR 4,01,000|
|MFTech||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi||INR 5,35,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||INR 5,35,000|
|Renaissance University||INR 1,74,000|
|ME/MTech Fashion Design||Kumaraguru College of Technology||INR 1,90,000|
|College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University||INR 50,000|
|AIT Karaikudi – Alagappa Institute of Technology||INR 50,000|
Fashion Designing Courses Fees
- Online Fashion Designing Courses Fees fall in the range of INR 2,000 – INR 50,000 per course.
- Among the popular platforms that offer fashion designing courses online, udemy fashion designing courses have the most affordable fashion designing course fees (INR 455 – INR 700 when in the sale or INR 3,499 originally).
- Fashion designing courses after the 12th fees vary on the duration, college, and level of fashion design course; fashion design courses fees for NIFT’s BDes fashion design program range between INR 11 – 13 lakhs in total.
- Fashion designing courses in Delhi cost INR 5,000 – INR 23,00,000 in total.
- IGNOU is one of the institutions that offer affordable fashion designing courses; 6-month fashion designing course fees in IGNOU are INR 5,000 in total.
MBA in Fashion Design
Although fashion design courses are mostly offered in the domain of arts and sciences, some of the colleges also offer MBA courses in fashion design, the details of which are mentioned below:
MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management
- MBA in Fashion Merchandising and MBA in Retail Management is a 2-year program, involving the production of fashion products and how to manage their sales, and distribution.
- An MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management’s major goal is to specialize in the fields of merchandising, marketing, retailing, and supply chain management to manage the fashion industry’s aims.
- Fashion merchandising combines the worlds of fashion and commerce. Fashion merchandising expertise in training is in high demand.
- The training has a wide range of applications because the retail industry is India’s second-largest employer, employing over 35 million people.
- The Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology in Bangalore provides a two-year MBA in fashion merchandising and retail management for INR 6.50 lakhs.
- To be eligible for the course, 50% marks in graduation are required and the admissions are done based on scores in KMAT, MAT, Karnataka PGCET, CAT, and KCET.
MBA in Fashion Design and Business Management
- MBA in Fashion Design and MBA in Business Management is designed for individuals who wish to achieve an international and successful career in the Fashion industry.
- The fashion industry’s management concepts are combined with numerous business modules in fashion design, marketing, and production in this course.
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology in Bangalore charges INR 6.50 lakhs for a two-year MBA in fashion design and business management.
- Admissions are based on scores in the KMAT, MAT, Karnataka PGCET, CAT, and KCET, and applicants must have a minimum of 50% in their graduation.
MBA in Textile Management
- MBA in Textile Management is a 2-year course that involves the study of management and administrative techniques that are applied in the textile industry.
- To be eligible for an MBA in textile management, you must have a minimum of 50% in your undergraduate degree and valid scores on the MAT and other management tests offered by universities.
- MBA/PGDM in textile management is offered by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International School of Textiles and Management in Coimbatore and Vogue Institute of Art & Design in Bangalore.
- The average cost of an MBA in textile management is between INR 1.8 and 2.60 lakhs.
- Working in major organizations such as Arvind Ltd., Bombay Dyeing and Manufacturing Company, Bombay Rayon Fashions Ltd., Fabindia Overseas Private Ltd, and others can earn you roughly INR 2-6 LPA with an MBA in textile management.
Fashion Design Colleges
Aspirants can study in top-ranked fashion designing colleges such as NIFT Delhi, NIFT Bangalore, NIFT Chennai, and NIFT Patna to become fashion designers. The top colleges for fashion design courses charge INR 3-10 lakhs for fashion design courses belonging to graduation and post-graduation levels.
|India Today Ranking||College Name|
|7||Pearl Academy, New Delhi|
|9||Symbiosis Institute of Design|
|10||Pearl Academy, Jaipur|
|11||Amity School of Fashion Technology|
|13||Army Institute of Fashion Design|
|17||IMS Design and Innovation Academy, Noida|
|22||Axis Institute of Fashion Technology, Kanpur|
|24||Vogue Institute of Art and Design, Bangalore|
Fashion Design Entrance Exams 2024
Most educational institutes shortlist candidates for admission to their Fashion Design program based on a design aptitude test, which is followed by a review of the candidate’s portfolio and a personal interview round. The following are some common fashion design entrance tests:
|Entrance Exam||Registration/Exam Dates|
|NIFT||Application : 5th Dec’23 – 3rd Jan ’24|
Exam : 5th Feb ’24
|IIAD||Application : closed|
Exam : 16th Dec ’23 (online /offline)
17th Dec’23 (online)
|CEED||Application :closed |
|UCEED||Application : closed |
Exam : 21st Jan ’24
|NID DAT||Application : closed |
Exam : 24th Dec ’23
|AIEED||Application : open|
Exam :15 -25TH Dec’23
|SOFT||Application:1st October 2023 to 20th January 2024|
Exam : 30th Jan’24 -31st Jan ’24
|AIFD WAT||Application: 4th week of April |
Exam: 4th week of April
Fashion Designing Course Syllabus
The combination of core and elective subjects taught in the Syllabus Fashion Designing Course course may vary as per the Degree/ Diploma that candidates are offered upon completion of the fashion design course. Also, there can be slight variations in the fashion design course curriculum from college to college.
Diploma in Fashion Design Syllabus
The table below contains syllabus of diploma and PG diploma in Fashion Design:
|Diploma in Fashion Design|
|Fashion Designing||Fashion Accessory|
|Fashion Illustration||Fashion Ornamentation|
|Textile Science||Product Specification|
|Pattern Making and Garment Construction||Computer-Aided Design|
|Fashion Merchandising and Management||Fashion Marketing and Management|
|PG Diploma in Fashion Design|
|Fashion Design Process||Visualization and Presentation Techniques|
|Contextual design studies and Communication||Fashion Form and Function|
|Traditional Textiles & Crafts||Business Studies & Entrepreneurship|
Bachelor in Fashion Design Syllabus
The important topics covered in the syllabus of Bachelor in Fashion Design are as follows:
|BDes Fashion Design|
|Introduction to Pattern Making & Draping||Introduction to Textiles|
|Introduction to Fashion Design & Fashion Technology||Fashion Theory|
|Introduction to Fashion Sketching & Illustration||History of Fashion|
|Apparel Development||Current Trends and Forecasting|
|Computer-Aided Design||Apparel Development|
|Fashion Illustration||Design Process|
|Advanced Draping||Model & Prototype Development|
|Research & Communication||Element of Colour & Design|
|Fashion Model Drawing||Fashion Accessory|
|BA Fashion Design|
|Apparel Construction Methods||Colour Mixing|
|Computer-Aided Design||Elements of Textiles|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Fashion Illustration and Design|
|Fashion Studies||History of Costumes|
|Introduction to Pattern Making and Garment Construction||Leather Designing|
|Manufacturing Technology||Surface Development Techniques|
|BSc Fashion Design|
|Analytical Drawing||Apparel Construction Methods|
|Basic Computer Studies||Computer-Aided Design|
|Colour Mixing||Basic Photography|
|Grading||History of Costumes|
|Introduction to Pattern Making & Garment Construction||Indian Art Appreciation|
|Creative Jewellery||Current Global Fashion Trends|
|Elements of Design||Draping|
|Elements of Textiles||Fabric Dyeing and Printing|
|Fashion History||Fashion Forecasting|
|Fashion Illustration and Design||Design Process|
|Fashion Studies||Free Hand Drawing|
|Garment Construction||Geometrical Construction|
Masters in Fashion Design Syllabus
The syllabus for Masters in Fashion Design course is as follows:
|MDes Fashion Design|
|Introduction to Design||Visual Design- Principles and Applications|
|Form Studies||Graphic Design|
|MA Fashion Design|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Advanced Pattern Making||Construction of Women’s Wear|
|Design Illustration||Computer Designing|
|Retail Marketing & Merchandising||Knitwear Design Technology|
|Construction of Men’s Wear||–|
|MBA in Fashion Management|
|Basic Product and Manufacturing Related Knowledge||Principles of Fashion Marketing, Merchandising, and Management|
|Economic Analysis and Statistics||Information Technology|
|Marketing Research and Consumer Behaviour||Global Textiles and Apparel Product Market Characteristics|
|Retail Management and Advanced Export Merchandising||Quantitative Techniques and Operations Research|
|Management Accounting||Marketing Strategies and Brand Management|
|International Marketing||Fashion Forecasting and Product Development|
|Financial Management and International Finance||Human Resource Management|
|Supply Chain Management and e-Business||Customer Relationship Management|
|Visual Merchandising||Intellectual Property Rights|
|MSc Fashion Design|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Advanced Pattern Making||Construction of Women’s Wear|
|Design Illustration||Computer-Aided Designing|
|Retail Marketing and Merchandising||Construction of Men’s Wear|
|Knitwear Design Technology||–|
What Subjects are Needed to Become a Fashion Designer?
In class 10th, students can choose Arts as their primary stream, if they want to pursue a fashion design course later in life. While the specific fashion designing subjects listed after the 10th vary from college to college, all of them should cover the following list of subjects:
|History of fashion designing||Trends in fashion|
|Youth fashion market||Equipment in fashion|
|Fabrics and Raw materials||Tools and Materials|
|Clothing and Designing||Product Making|
|Pattern making by hand||Illustrations|
Skills Gained from a Fashion Designing Course
Fashion design graduates aspiring to establish their fashion design careers should first consider the skills required for fashion designers. The skills needed to be a fashion designer include good drawing and sketching.
There are also many software fashion designers need to be well-versed with. Adobe Creative Suite is considered the best fashion design software for beginners and is a high-demand skill. It is used to create emails, banners, site sections, and holiday cards for clients. The table below lists fashion designer skills and qualities:
|Fashion Designer Skills|
|Good Drawing Skills||Creativity|
|Artistic Thinking||Innovative Skills|
|Observation Skills to Look for Detailing||Competitiveness|
|Good Communication Skills||Eye for Detail|
|Persuasiveness||Good understanding of market and customer lifestyle|
|Adobe Creative Suite||CAD|
|Graphic Design||Digital Marketing/Market Research|
Fashion Designing Jobs
There is plenty of Fashion Designer Job Vacancy just when you are establishing your fashion designer career. Fashion design graduates take up various fashion design internships and fashion design jobs in the job roles of a Fashion Designer, Fashion Marketer, Fashion Consultant, Personal Stylist, Technical Designer, and Fashion Coordinator.
- Amongst all the above-mentioned profiles, Fashion Stylist and Fashion Designer are the highest paying fashion design jobs, with a national average salary of INR 1,76,000 – 3,98,000 and INR 1,77,000 – 10,00,000 respectively.
- Fashion designers typically work for 8-10 hours per day on a salaried basis in a standard 5 working days per week. However, they are expected to work for a few extra hours during the peak season of fashion runways and fashion shows.
- The beginning salary for a job in fashion designing for freshers is usually INR 8,000- 10,000. It takes a few years of work experience and expertise to make INR 60,000 per month.
- A Fashion Designer with five years of experience based in Sydney, New South Wales will earn an average salary of $61,621, according to Payscale.com. This is likely to differ based on industry experience, location, and other factors.
Salary of a Fashion Designer in India
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Fashion Designer||Fashion designers work in their label or another firm and design clothes and style them according to one’s needs.||INR 2 – 3 lakhs|
|Fashion Marketer||Fashion marketers work in famous boutiques, clothing brands, and outlets to promote and market their brand names for sales and profit.||INR 3 – 5 lakhs|
|Fashion Consultant/Personal Stylist||They work for individual clients or celebs to help them keep up with the latest fashion trends, wear good outfits and promote their public image.||INR 2.5 lakhs|
|Fashion Coordinator||Fashion coordinators keep up with the latest fashion trends and advise almost all fashion brands, firms, and organizations on how to improve their brand value.||INR 10 – 15 lakhs|
|Technical Designer||Technical designers are responsible for deciding the outfit’s manufacturing, i.e. design, Stichting, wash description, and packaging.||INR 5 lakhs|
|Fashion Concept Manager||They are mostly involved in research for new ideas or concepts related to fashion, clothing, and brand.||INR 4 – 8 lakhs|
|Fashion Show Organiser||Fashion show organizers organize fashion shows and events.||INR 3 – 4 lakhs|
Aspiring fashion designers can work for top fashion magazines such as Vogue, or top clothing and apparel brands such as Raymonds, Benetton, Arvind Garments, Levis, Pantaloons, and other reputed organizations. The famous fashion designers in India who hire fashion design graduates are:
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee
- Manish Malhotra
- Payal Singhal
- Anita Dongre
- Tarun Tahiliani
Check out the list of top fashion design companies for fashion design graduates.
|Fashion Design Companies|
|Span India||ITC Ltd.|
|Madura Garments||Arvind Garments|
|Omega Designs||Orient Craft|
|Shahi Exports||Shoppers Stop|
|Mahajan Overseas||Swarovski India|
|Uni Style India||Export Overseas|