BTech ECE is a 4-year program focused on technologies in critical areas such as telecommunications, electricity and electronics, while promoting the development of the skills required to combine hardware and software components. It is pursued by students who have cleared 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects. It involves the study of the design, analysis, ad application of electronics and communication circuits.
This course is divided into a total of eight semesters, two semesters per year. Both practical and theory exams are held at the end of each year. The curriculum provides students with a solid base in the foundations of electronics and communications engineering through classes such as Analog & Digital Communications, Signals and Structures, Modern Logic & Circuits, Coding, etc.
The approximate tuition fee of the course ranges from INR 1,00,000 to 4,00,000. However, some private institute fees can go up to INR 6,00,000 to 7,00,000. The program enables students to develop new electronic systems useful for real applications. BTech ECE course focuses on telecommunications, energy, and electronics sectors. Students after completing BTech ECE can work in various government and private sectors as Electronic Engineer, Design Engineer, VLSI Engineer, etc. Students can get a remuneration of INR 1,80,000 to 3,00,000 per annum at entry level.
BTech ECE: Course Highlights
Listed are some overall highlights of BTech ECE course.
|Duration of the Course||4 Years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Securing 50% in 10+2 with PCM|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 200000 – 1000000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 500000 – 700000|
|Job Profiles||Software Engineers, Application Developer, Network Engineer, Hardware Engineer, CAD Engineer|
|Top Recruiters||TCS, Wipro, DXC, Syntel, Hexaware, Capegemini, Infosys|
BTech ECE: What is it About?
BTech ECE is a four year undergraduate program in Electronics and Communication Engineering consisting of eight semesters.
- It focuses on concepts and designs of underlying hardware systems which are used in areas such as telecommunication, energy and electronic sectors.
- It is based on research, design, development and testing of electronics in various systems.
- The core topics include an understanding of analog transmission, basic electronics, solid state devices, microprocessors, digital and analog communication, analog integrated circuits, satellite communication, microwave engineering, antennae and wave progression.
- Course Structure of BTech ECE is an introductory course for electrical engineering students where students study a series of core courses along with elective subjects which cover the concepts of telecommunications, energy and electronics sectors.
- The delivery method includes an integrated study of topics through classroom lectures, practical, laboratory works, workshops, research programs and internships.
- The course is intended to impart knowledge of principles underlying communication systems.
- The course covers all the arenas of all electrical and communication study educating students with different topics like Integrated Electronics, fields and waves etc.
Why BTech ECE?
BTech ECE equips students with the key competencies required to excel in long-term career goals.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering is one of the streams where you adapt practically pretty much all the concepts of science.
- It is among the few other streams that gives you this diverse yet paltry information on all the fields.
- Creation of specialised networking systems and equipment called value added services. Call diversion, video conferencing to bind people all over the world.
- Candidates expecting their shortcoming is in learning the programming dialects or lean toward a no coding stream, would by and large be taking this stream, not to overlook them, winding up in a product firm and turning into an engineer.
- Also, people who aren’t so secure with which field to seek after their profession would pick this, since they have a choice of picking either the product or the equipment side.
- After graduation, an EC engineer is qualified to work in either core electronics job as well as a Contact Service Provider or Vendor Job.
What is the BTech ECE Admission Process?
For candidates seeking admission to BTech ECE, eligible students need to clear the entrance exam, group discussion and personal interview round.
- The application forms for the exam are available in the months of November and December.
- The combination of marks scored in 10+2 level examination and in the JEE Advanced is considered for admission in this course.
- The selection process is carried out once the student clears the entrance exam which is then followed by a group discussion round and personal interview round.
- For Lateral Entry admission, candidates holding a diploma in Electronics and Communication are also eligible for BTech ECE program.
What is the BTech ECE Eligibility Criteria?
To apply for BTech ECE program, candidate needs to clear the following eligibility criteria:
- Minimum of 50% marks in 10+2 from a recognized board
- Students must clear 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects.
- Candidates holding a diploma in Electronics and Communication.
What are the top BTech ECE Entrance Exams?
Candidates can appear for JEE or institute level examinations to secure a seat in BTech ECE program. The JEE system covers IITs, NITs, and centrally funded technical institutes. Some of the entrance exams for BTech ECE are listed below:
- JEE Main: A national level exam to secure a seat in the prestigious institutes of India. The skills tested in this exam are Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. It is carried out in the month of April.
- JEE Advanced: It is for students who clear the JEE Main and want to take admission in IITs. The questions in this exam are from Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. It is carried out in the month of May.
- VITEEE: It is conducted by VIT University.
- BITSAT: BITS Pilani conducts entrance exams to secure admission in their campus across the country.
- SRMJEE: It is a common entrance test conducted which is accepted by all four campus of SRM Group.
Other entrance exams for B. Tech. programs are VITEEE, BITSAT, SRMJEE etc. Some universities like Sharda University, Noida, Amity University, Noida and many other private universities take direct admission to the course. There are colleges which set entrance exams as a criterion to get into this course. Listed are the details of a few entrance exams applicable for BTech ECE.
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|JEE Mains||Check Here|
|JEE Advanced||Check Here|
Covid Update: VITEEE and SRMJEE were cancelled and result has been declared on the basis of candidate’s performance in qualifying exam.
How to Prepare for BTech ECE Entrance Exams?
The BTech ECE entrance exams covers General Aptitude, Quantitative Reasoning and Qualifying exams syllabus in regards to ECE. Few tips to ace your BTech ECE entrance exams:
- The previous year paper pattern of the entrance exams for BTech ECE gives a good layout for your study plan.
- To achieve the accuracy in the stipulated time, practice in the same time-slots as that of the exam.
- Going through the detailed syllabus of the examination helps to cover the important and essential topics.
- Prepare notes as they are always handy a week or so before the actual exam.
How to get Admission in top BTech ECE colleges?
To secure admission in the top colleges offering BTech ECE program candidates must keep in mind:
- To look out for the entrance exam and their admission procedure applicable to the college.
- Prepare well for the personal interview as it has almost 40% weightage as far as the top institutes are concerned.
- Work on your communication skills and be updated with the current affairs.
- One most important thing to be noted is that higher the score in the entrance exam, higher is your chance to get into your dream institute.
BTech ECE Top Colleges
Here is a list of few top colleges offering B.Tech ECE course:
|Exam name||Date of exam|
|JEE MAIN||Session 1: January 24 to February 1, 2024|
Session 2: April 1 to 15, 2024
|JEE ADVANCED||To be Announced|
|WBJEE||To be Announced|
|MHT CET||To be Announced|
|BITSAT||To be Announced|
BTech ECE College Comparison
The top engineering colleges in the country are IITs, BITS’s, IIITs. Listed below are the comparisons among the top colleges offering BTech ECE.
|Parameters||IIT Delhi||BITS Hyderabad|
|Overview||It is an autonomous institute established in 1961. It is recognized by UGC. It is one of the top engineering colleges in the country.||It is a private institute based in Hyderabad, Telangana, which was established in 2008. BITS Hyderabad is one of the four BITS University campuses in Pilani. It is approved by UGC and AICTE, accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ ranking.|
|Average Fees||INR 225000||INR 423000|
|Annual Salary||INR 1600000||INR 1000000|
BTech ECE Syllabus
BTech ECE course is divided into eight semesters across four years. The marks of the students are based on their performances in theory exams, practical exams and projects assigned to them. Some of the subjects in the syllabus of BTech ECE is as follows:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Applied Mathematics-I||Applied Mathematics-II|
|Applied Physics-I||Applied Physics-II|
|Manufacturing Processes||Electronic Devices|
|Electrical Technology||Introduction to Programming|
|Fundamentals of Computing||Engineering Mechanics|
|Applied Chemistry||Communication Skills|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Applied Mathematics – III||Applied Mathematics – IV|
|Analog Electronics – I||Analog Electronics – II|
|Switching Theory and Logic Design||Network Analysis and Synthesis|
|Electronic Instruments and Measurements||Communication Systems|
|Data Structures||Electromagnetic Field Theory|
|Signals and Systems||Computer Organization and Architecture|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Communication Skills for Professionals||Microwave Engineering|
|Digital Communication||Information Theory and Coding|
|Microprocessors and Microcontrollers||Digital Signal Processing|
|Control Systems||VLSI Design|
|Digital System Design||Data Communication and Networks|
|Industrial Management||Antenna and Wave Propagation|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Embedded Systems||Satellite Communication|
|Wireless Communication||Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks|
Here is a list of Books that can come handy to understand the subjects of study of BTech ECE:
|Name of the Book||Author(s)|
|Electronic Devices and Circuits||Robert L Boyelstad|
|Microelectronics||Smith and Sedra|
|Circuit Analysis||Robert L Boyelstad|
|Digital Signal Processing||Alan V Oppenheim|
|Signals and Systems||Alan V Oppenheim|
|VLSI(3 books)||Jan Rabaey, Weste, Smith|
|Digital Electronics||Morris Mano|
|Linear Integrated Circuits||Roy Chaudry|
|Antenna and Wave Propagation||John D Kraus|
|Wireless Network||Jochen Schiller|
|Ad Hoc Networks||Siva Ram|
|Radio Frequency and Microwave Engineering||Ludwig|
Course Comparison: BTech ECE vs BTech CSE
BTech ECE and BTech CSE are both academic-focused alternatives. The course mainly deals with subjects related to computer software and hardware and directs a student towards theoretical and practical knowledge in the computer science domain.
|Parameters||BTech ECE||BTech CSE|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communications Engineering||Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science andEngineering|
|Overview||It involves the study of design, analysis, and application of electronics and communication circuits.||It involves the study of computer applications and systems, hardware process and designing software.|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 200000 – 1000000||INR 200000 – 1000000|
|Top Colleges||IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, NIT Trichy, IIT BHU,||IIT Delhi, IIT Roorkee, IIT Kanpur, BITS Hyderabad|
|Average Salary||INR 150000 – INR 350000||INR 150000 – INR 350000|
|Top Recruiters||TCS, Wipro, DXC, Syntel, Hexaware, Capgemini, Infosys||TATA Consultancy, Infosys Technologies, IBM Global Services, Accenture Services, HCL Technologies|
BTech ECE Jobs
There is no uniformity in regards to remuneration in the field of Electronics & Communication Engineering. It depends heavily on the portrayal of the individual and their ability. There is no dissatisfaction that electronics and communication engineering is a promising growth-driven stream, and adequate expertise in the field qualifies the person for a broad range of entry-level openings when merged with unique skills. Some of the job roles offered to a graduate in BTech ECE:
|Job Role||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Electronic Engineer||Use scientific knowledge of electrons to design and develop systems that use electricity as a source of power.||INR 300000 – 400000|
|Verification Engineer||Has to verify the design and make sure it works properly.||INR 500000 – 700000|
|CAD Engineer||Responsible for managing the license and EDA tools and need to integrate good interpersonal skills.||INR 400000 – 600000|
|Application Engineer||Responsible for maintaining interface between R&D and customers.||INR 900000 – 1100000|
|Design Engineer||Responsible for design and its implementation.||INR 400000 – 600000|
BTech ECE Future Scope
BTech ECE gives students an opportunity to make a successful career in the fast-growing telecom industry, where students get a decent remuneration at entry level itself, which increases as the student gains experience and expertise.
- Media and Entertainment industry is the biggest employer for Electronics and Communication engineers.
- Along with this, the government sector has also proved beneficial in terms of job provision for degree holders of this program.
- Organizations like MTNL, BSNL, Civil Aviation have been hiring Electronic and Communication engineering students for many years.
- The sectors where students of BTech ECE are placed are Indian Engineering Service, Indian Telephone Industry, Semiconductor, Chip Design Industry, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., Civil Aviation Department, Power Sector, Software Industries, Indian Railways.
- The top recruiters in the industry are CISCO, Oracle, Toshiba, Tata, Phillips offering a decent pay package to the graduates of BTech ECE degree holders.
- After completing B.Tech. ECE students can choose MBA, MTech ECE, MTech Communication Engineering for higher studies which will help increase their salary package and improve their potential in the industry.