PhD Nursing is a research level program, the duration of which ranges from 4-6 years. This course involves research in the field of Nursing for the betterment of Health care facilities.
To be eligible for a PhD Nursing program, candidates must hold a Master’s degree in Nursing or any other equivalent discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% from a recognized university. Admission to PhD Nursing course will be done based on the candidate’s performance in the entrance examinations conducted by the admission authorities such as JIPMER, AIIMS etc. Some colleges also grant admission on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the postgraduate examination.
Some of the subjects covered in this course include Current Health Issues and Policies, Nursing Leadership, Nursing Informatics, Nursing Theories, etc.
The average annual program fee in India ranges between INR 5,000 and 4,00,000, depending on the institute offering the program.
On completion of this research level program, students will be able to find a job as a Chief Nursing Officer, Rehabilitation Specialist, Critical Care Nurse, Nurse Manager, Community Health Specialist etc. The average annual starting salary offered to PhD Nursing degree holders in India ranges between INR 3,00,000 and 10,00,000 depending on the candidate’s expertise in the field.
PhD Nursing: Highlights
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing|
|Duration||Minimum 3 year, can be stretched up to 5 years (depends on the length of the research)|
|Minimum Eligibility||Masters in Nursing along with an aggregate of 55% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam followed by Interview|
|Top Entrance Exams||JIPMER, AIIMS PG|
|Top Colleges||Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan University, Annamalai University, Amity University, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 to INR 4,00,000|
|Top Career Prospects||Chief Nursing Officer, Rehabilitation Specialist, Critical Care Nurse, Nurse Manager, Community Health Specialist etc|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000|
PhD Nursing: What is it about?
Some of the important points to know what PhD Nursing is all about are as follows:
- PhD Nursing facilitates the provision of high quality and cost-friendly services for patients and clients.
- This course contributes towards the development of knowledge and analytical skills of students and enhances their action and decision-making skills, which in turn provides them with a solid foundation for lifelong learning.
- The PhD Nursing program helps students to integrate knowledge, skills and attitude in the areas of management, clinical practice and generic areas of professional nursing and then applying them to daily work.
- This program basically focuses on the diversity of learning techniques required by professionals working in health, social care and third sector settings.
- The subject curriculum of this program includes subjects such as Current Health Issues and Policies, Nursing Leadership, Nursing Informatics, Nursing Theories and Theory Development etc.
Why Should You Study PhD Nursing?
There are a large number of benefits of pursuing a PhD Nursing course. The main benefits of pursuing this program are given below:
- After completion of this course, students easily get jobs as a Nursing Officer or Assistant Nursing Officer in numerous healthcare organizations or they can also choose to work as a Community Health Expert or Rehabilitation Specialist in a Rural/ Urban setting.
- With this program, you will get a large number of opportunities to develop your own learning techniques through a series of educationally useful and challenging learning experiences.
- Students can opt for jobs in numerous sectors such as Public Health Departments, Hospitals, Community Organizations, Wellness Centres, School Systems, Rural/ Urban Settings etc. on completion of this course
- Successful professionals of this course are usually hired as Chief Nursing Officer, Rehabilitation Specialist, Critical Care Nurse, Nurse Manager, Community Health Specialist etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered with the average salary of INR 4-10 Lacs Per Annum.
What is the Admission Process for PhD Nursing?
Most of the institutes and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to PhD Nursing course. Top PhD colleges offer admission through entrances like JIPMER, AIIMS etc.
The steps of the entrance-based admission are as follows:
- Step 1: Online Registration: Students have to register themselves for the entrance test by providing their email address, mobile number and password after which a login id will be generated.
- Step 2: Filling up of application form: After creating the login id, candidates are required to fill the online application form by providing their personal and academic details and enter the details of the course which you are opting for.
- Step 3: Uploading of documents: On filling the application form, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as photograph, signature, id proof, post graduation degree and marksheet etc.
- Step 4: Application Fee: After uploading the necessary documents, students have to pay the requisite amount of application fee using Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
- Step 5: Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the application form for future references.
- Step 6: Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Step 7: Entrance Examination: After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates have to sit for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
- Step 8: Declaration of Result: In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Step 9: Group Discussion and Personal Interview: The selected candidates have to appear for further admission rounds such as group discussion and personal interview.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for the PhD Nursing Course?
Students seeking admission to PhD Nursing program are required to follow the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- The candidates should have completed Post graduation M.Sc./ M.Phil. in Nursing or any other equivalent discipline from a recognized university with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.
- The candidates who have passed Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery from any institution recognized by the Indian Nursing Council are also allowed to join provided they have sufficient professional experience.
- The candidates must be medically fit.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for Admission to PhD Nursing Course?
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer PhD Nursing programs conduct an entrance test for admission to this course.
With the help of entrance tests, admission authorities will be able to test knowledge and ability of the student on the basis of which selection takes place.
Some of the top PhD Nursing entrance examinations are as follows:-
- JIPMER – This is a national level entrance examination which is usually conducted in the month of June 2022. However, it has been postponed because of COVID-19 pandemic. This exam offers admission to students to PG courses in MD & MS, DM, M.Ch. in a wide range of fields.
- AIIMS PG – AIIMS PG is a national level entrance examination which is conducted twice a year for admission to PG courses or some branches of PhD The exam was conducted on June 11, 2022.
|Exam Name||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|NEET PG||January 7, 2023 – January 27, 2023||March 5, 2023|
|AIIMS PG||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|JIPMER||January 20, 2023 (Application Deadline )||May 7, 2023|
|PGIMER||March 24, 2022 – April 24, 2022||July 6, 8, 10, 2022|
How to Prepare for PhD Nursing Entrance Exams?
Candidates are advised to follow the below mentioned points to score well in the entrance test:
- Syllabus: Students must have an exact idea of the syllabus of the entrance test and the type of questions that might be asked in the question paper.
- Section-wise Preparation of the exam: Questions are mainly asked from the subject you have studied at the time of your post-graduation. Therefore, it is very important for students to have a clear idea of the subject they wish to pursue PhD in.
- Past Papers: The students must not forget to go through the previous year’s question paper thoroughly. This will help them to understand the type of questions asked in the examination.
- Time Management: This is the most important aspect of one’s preparation, so students must pay attention to this. Aspirants are advised to make a proper time table and follow the same strictly to boost their preparation and perform well in the entrance test.
How to get Admission to a Good PhD Nursing College?
- Students can get a confirmed seat in a good college if they have a sound academic record in post-graduation and also on the basis of their performance in various national or state level entrance examinations.
- It is also very important to be both mentally and physically prepared for further admission rounds i.e. group discussion and personal interview.
- Students must keep track of all the important events pertaining to the admission process so that they will never miss any deadline.
- Students are advised to practice as many papers and questions as they can in order to enhance their time management skills.
Subjects Covered Under PhD Nursing Course?
PhD Nursing is a research based doctoral course which involves researching in a particular domain of nursing. At the end of the course, the candidates will have to submit the research thesis to attain their PhD degrees.
Some of the research subjects covered in PhD Nursing course are provided in the table given below:
|Current Health Issues and Policies||This topic involves all the current health issues and recent health policies that may benefit the patients.|
|Nursing Leadership||This course involves subjects which help to develop leadership skills in the nurses. Some of the subjects taught include communication skills, soft skills, along with regular nursing subjects.|
|Nursing Informatics||This course involves the study of Information Technology Systems which are used in Nursing on a regular basis.|
|Philosophy of Nursing Science and Theoretical Perspectives||This topic will discuss the principle philosophy of nursing science along with the various theoretical perspectives involved in it.|
|Nursing Theories and Theory Development||This topic will discuss important nursing theories and perspectives involved with them. The candidates will have to study the theories in detail and prepare a thesis on it.|
|Overview of Theory in Nursing||Here, the candidates will have to do adequate research and prepare an overview on the theory of nursing and nursing practices.|
Course Comparison: PhD Nursing vs DNP
Both PhD Nursing and DNP are top courses in the field of Nursing and are quite popular among students because of a promising career offered by these courses. The key points of difference between the above two courses are provided in the table below:
|Qualification||Doctorate of Philosophy in Nursing||Doctorate of Nursing Practice|
|Course Overview||This is a doctorate degree program in Nursing which particularly focuses on research in the field of Nursing. This course involves a lot of theoretical research on the various nursing theories and methods. It involves understanding those theories and then writing your own thesis on them.||DNP or Doctorate in Nursing Practices is an advanced doctoral degree in Nursing. It is one of the highest degrees in this field. It mainly focuses on practical nursing practices and training. It also involves researching ways in which better nursing care can be given to the patients.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 to INR 4,00,000||INR 20,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Duration||4-6 years||3-5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a postgraduate degree in Nursing||Hold a postgraduate degree in Nursing|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based followed by Interview||Entrance-Based followed by Interview|
|Top Colleges||Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, Amity University, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth, Vadodara etc.||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Christian Medical College, Vellore etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000||INR 8,00,000 to INR 16,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Public Health Departments, Hospitals, Community Organizations, Wellness Centres, School Systems, Rural/ Urban Settings etc.||Hospitals, Community Organizations, Wellness Centres etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Chief Nursing Officer, Assistant Nursing Officer, Critical Care Nurse etc.||Head Nurse, Nursing Officer, Community Health Specialist etc.|
What are the Salary Trends and Job Profiles Available for a PhD Nursing Candidate?
- There are a large number of job opportunities for Nurses qualified with a Nursing Degree. With a PhD degree in Nursing, students will be able to find jobs in the primary care, travel sector among several others.
- This degree will help you to get experienced and develop impeccable knowledge and skills which are very important for specialist and advanced practice for both professional and personal development in Nursing.
- Nowadays, there is a huge demand for qualified and skilled nurses throughout the world. So, you can definitely opt for this program.
- On getting a PhD degree in Nursing, one can work in numerous sectors such as State Nursing Councils, Indian Nursing Council, Indian Red Cross Society etc.
Some of the popular professional jobs available to PhD Nursing degree holders along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Chief Nursing Officer||The job of a Chief Nursing Officer is to achieve continuous improvement in the medical field and have the ability to lead large teams, act as a team leader and spokesperson for nurses.||INR 8,79,000|
|Assistant Nursing Officer||An Assistant Nursing Officer works under the directions of the Chief Nursing Officer to create an environment in which nursing staff will be able to perform their duties effectively.||INR 7,56,000|
|Rehabilitation Specialist||A Rehabilitation Specialist usually helps people in finding ways to live an active and independent life despite the issues they are facing in their daily life. Rehab Specialists are also responsible for coordinating the needs of people with the services offered to them.||INR 5,68,000|
|Critical Care Nurse||A Critical Care Nurse is responsible for caring for pre- and post-operative patients. In addition to this some nurses also act as Case Managers and Policy Makers.||INR 3,60,000|
|Community Health Specialist||Community Health Specialists or Health Educators usually help in developing and implementing programs that aware the people on issues related to health.||INR 4,75,000|