GATE 2024 Registration Last date is till 20th October 2023 with late fee. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a a national level exam conducted once every year. GATE 2024 is being organised by IISc Bangalore. This exam is jointly conducted by IISc Bangalore & 7 IIT’s (IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Roorkee and IIT Delhi).
It is mandatory to qualify GATE exam for students seeking admission in: (i) Master’s degree & direct doctoral programme in Engineering/ Architecture/ Technology and (ii) Doctoral program in relevant branches of Arts & Science. The exam is conducted to test the comprehensive understanding in various UG subjects in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture and both UG & PG level subjects in Arts, Science & Commerce. Through this exam, candidates will be given admission into PG degree courses such as M.E/ M.Tech & Ph.D. Also, the scores of GATE are accepted for recruitment in PSUs. Candidates must check the provided article to know complete knowledge from application to counselling process of GATE 2024.
GATE 2024 Overview
GATE 2024 Overview
|Exam Name||GATE 2024|
|Full Form||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Conducting Authority||IISc Bengaluru|
|Number of subject papers||30|
|Courses Offered||M.E, M.Tech, Ph.D|
|Exam Date||3rd, 4th & 10th, 11th February 2024|
|Exam Mode||Online (Computer Based) mode|
GATE 2024 Exam Dates
Check following table/ calendar for official GATE Exam dates 2024 with its related events here:
|Events||Dates 2024 (Announced)|
|Notification releases||5th August 2023|
|Registration starts||By 30th August 2023|
|Last date to register (without any late fee)||12th October 2023|
|Last date to apply (with late fee)||20th October 2023|
|Modification/ Correction||7th to 11th November 2023|
|Availability of admit card||3rd January 2024|
|GATE 2024 Exam||3rd, 4th & 10th, 11th February 2024|
|Release of responses||16th February 2024|
|Releases of answer key||21st February 2024|
|Submission of objections/ challenges||22nd- 25th February 2024|
|Release of final answer key||February 2024|
|Declaration of results||16th March 2024|
|Downloading of Score cards||23rd March 2024|
|COAP counselling||3rd week of March 2024|
GATE 2024 Application Form
Candidates must go through following steps while filling GATE 2024 Application form:
- The application form for GATE 2024 can be submitted via online mode only.
- Interested & eligible candidates can fill the form by 30th August 2024.
- The registration form is accepted only of eligible candidates, so one must make sure they fulfil complete eligibility criteria.
- Candidates are allowed to appear in any one or up-to two papers of the combination. However, only single application forms are being accepted.
- More than one application form will be rejected without any refund of the application fee.
- While filling application form, applicants have to choose three exam cities as per their preferences.
- Aspirants must ensure they have provided each asked details in the form as incomplete details will lead to rejection.
- All communication details will be sent to candidate’s registered number & ID, so it must be valid/ working.
- The last date to apply for GATE 2024 exam is till 12th October 2023 without any late fee.
- With late fee, last date to register is till 20th October 2023.
- At last, candidates must not forget to take printout of completely filled form for future use.
- Candidates are allowed to submit the application fee via electronic payment modes.
- The mode of payment includes credit card, debit card, net banking, UPI etc. methods.
- For two papers, application fee will be twice as in single paper.
- In any case, application fee will be non-refundable.
- The application fee as per different categories are discussed below:
|Category||Application Fee (without late fee)||Application Fee (with late fee)|
|Female candidates||Rs. 900/-||Rs. 1400/-|
|SC/ ST/PwD category||Rs. 900/-||Rs. 1400/-|
|All other category||Rs. 1800/-||Rs. 2300/-|
How to Register for GATE 2024
- Visit online website (Link is given above)
- Click on, ”Register Here” tab on the Home Page.
- Fill all personal & educational details in the form.
- Enter working email ID & phone number.
- Login using enrolment number & ID proof.
- Also, fill other asked & complete the application process.
- Upload documents including passport size photograph & signature in prescribed format.
- Preview the application details before fee submission.
- Submit the application fee as per your category.
- Now, a confirmation page will appear on your screen.
- Take its printout & keep it safe till future use.
GATE 2024 Application Correction
Application correction of GATE 2024 will be available via online mode. Only in few particulars, correction will be allowed before the last date. Candidates will be allowed to make correction in Name, D.O.B, Parent’s details, correspondence address & qualifying degree, etc. details.
Though, correction facility will be provided through login only from 7th to 11th November 2023. Students will be also required to submit certain amount of fee to edit their details in the form. It will be for limited time period only, so make sure not to miss the opportunity as incorrect details will lead to rejection of application form.
GATE 2024 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must check following Eligibility norms before filling GATE 2024 application form:
- Qualification: One must have completed study in 3rd year or higher year of any undergraduate degree program. The degree can be in the field of Engineering/ Commerce/ Technology/ Arts/ Architecture/ Science.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit to appear for GATE exam.
Degree Wise Eligibility:
Check below qualifying degree wise eligibility criteria and qualifying year:
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Degree Examination||Eligibility||Year of Qualification (not later than)|
|B.E/B.Tech/ B.Pharm||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering Technology (4 year after 10+2 OR 3 year after B.Sc/ Diploma in Technology/ Engineering)||Currently in 3rd year OR higher grade OR already completed||2025|
|B.Sc. Research/ BS||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post Diploma/ 4 years after 10 +2)||Currently in 3rd year OR higher grade OR already completed||2025|
|B.Arch||Bachelor’s degree of Architecture (5 year course)/ Planning (4 year course)/ Naval Architecture (4 year course)||Currently in 3rd year OR higher grade OR already completed||2026 (for 5 years) & 2026 (for 4 year)|
|B.Sc./ B.Com/ BA||Bachelor’s degree in branch of Arts/ Commerce/ Science (3 year program)||Currently in 3rd year OR higher grade OR already completed||2024|
|MBBS||Degree holders of MBBS||5th , 6th, 7th OR higher semester OR already completed||2025|
|M.A/ M.Sc/ MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Computer Application/ Statistics/ Mathematics/ Arts or equivalent||Currently in 3rd year OR higher grade OR already completed||2025|
|Pharm D (after 10+2)||6 year of diploma degree program, consisting of Internship OR residency training.||Currently in 3rd/4th / 5th/ 6th year OR already completed||2027|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech or dual degree (after diploma or 10 +2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5 year program)||Currently in 3rd / 4th/ 5th year OR already completed||2026|
|Int. M.Sc. / Int. BS-MS||Integrated M.Sc. OR 5 year Integrated BS-MS program||Currently in 3rd year OR higher grade OR already completed||2026|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post B.Sc.)||Post-BSC Integrated Master’s degree program in Engineering Technology (4 year programs)||Currently in 1st/2nd/3rd/ 4th year OR already completed||Any Year|
GATE 2024 Exam Pattern
Candidates must keep in mind about following GATE Exam pattern for 2024:
- Duration: Students will be given 3 hours to solve the paper.
- Mode of Exam: GATE 2024 will be held via online (Computer Based Test) mode.
- Type of Questions: There will be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT).
- Papers: 1 new paper has been added this year making it to total 30 subject/ papers.
- Types of Sections: Question paper will consist of General Aptitude (GA) + Subject (selected by candidate).
- No. of Questions: Total of 10 (GA) + 55 (Subjects) = 65 questions in the exam.
- Marking Scheme: There will be questions carrying 1 & 2 marks.
- Negative marking: 1 marks MCQ will deduct -1/3 mark and 2 marks question will deduct -2/3 marks. There will be no negative marking in MSQ & NAT type questions.
Candidates must also check following table to know about paper wise marking, time, etc:
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Compulsory Section||Subject Marks||Total Marks||TIme|
|AE, BT, AG, CH, CE, CS, EE, EC, ES, MA, IN, MN, ME, PE, MT, PI, MH, TF, BM||15||–||85||100||180 minutes|
|CY, EY, ST, DA, PH, MA||15||–||85||100||180 minutes|
|GE (Part A is common & compulsory|
B1 & B2 can be selected during exam
B1 – Surveying & mapping & B2 is image processing & analysis
|GG (Part A is common & compulsory|
Part B can either be Geology (B1) or Geophysics (B2) which must be chosen at the time of application
|XE (section A + any two sections)||15||15||(2×35)||100||180 minutes|
|XL (Section P + any two sections)||15||25||(2×30)||100||180 minutes|
|XH (section B1 + any one section)||15||25||60||100||180 minutes|
|AR (part A + part B is compulsory) (B1: Architecture or B2: Planning can be selected during exam)||15||60||25||100||180 minutes|
GATE 2024 Syllabus
The GATE Syllabus 2024 is released by the authorities after the release of notification. It is published separately on the website along with release of information brochure. Below we have provided some of the important topics for some branches:
- Civil Engineering: Structural engineering, engineering mathematics, geotechnical engineering.
- Electronics & Communication Engineering: Digital circuit, Signal and system, analog circuits, electronic devices, engineering mathematics.
- Architecture and Planning: Environmental planning and design, architecture and design, construction, building and structure, and management.
- Mathematics: Functional analysis, numerical analysis, linear algebra, complex analysis, algebra.
- Chemical Engineering: Fluid mechinic and mechanical operations, engineering mathematics, process calculations and thermodynamics.
- Petroleum Engineering: Oil and gas well testing, petroleum formation evaluation, algebra etc.
- Aerospace Engineering: Flight mechanics, space dynamics, engineering mathematics, structures, aerodynamics, propulsion
GATE Preparation Tips
Students are advised to take some help from the following GATE preparation tips to score well in the exam:
- Check complete exam pattern & syllabus details before start of preparation.
- Prepare short notes on regular basis for your ease.
- Allot equal time to study each subject.
- In last few days, focus on your stronger topics more.
- Keep practicing yoga & meditation for calm mind.
- Practice from sample papers & mock tests.
- Point out your mistake & remember them before & at the time of examination.
- Eat healthy & sleep properly for a healthy body and mind.
GATE Papers & Codes
Check paper wise codes in the below mentioned table:
|Architecture & Planning||AR||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Bio medical Engineering||BM||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Geology & Geophysics||GG||Biotechnology||BT|
|Geomatics Engineering||GE||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Engineering Sciences||XE||Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering||NM|
|Computer Science & Information Technology||CS||Textile Engineering & Fibre Science||TF|
|Ecology & Evolution||EY||Life Sciences||XL|
|Environmental Science & Engineering||ES||Humanities & Social Sciences||XH|
|Chemistry||CY||Production & Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
GATE 2024 Admit Card
GATE Admit card 2024 will be made available via online mode on 3rd January 2024. No printed copies of hall tickets will be sent to candidates through post. Admit card is valid if & only if one’s photograph & signature image is clear. So, one must ensure that all details are complete & correct as well and in the prescribed format. In case of any discrepancy, students must contact authority before exam date.
Admit card contains all details related to exams such as exam date, time & venue and exam instructions. It will be mandatory to carry hall ticket along with one valid ID proof at examination hall.
GATE 2024 Answer Key
Candidates will be able to download/ check the GATE answer key 2024 via online mode. Responses will be available on 16th February 2024. First, authority will release provisional answer key on 21st February 2024. Candidates will be also allowed to make objection against provisional key before last week of February.
After receiving all the objection, authority will publish final answer key. It will be published in February/ March 2024. With the help of answer key, students will be able to predict their marks before result declaration.
GATE 2024 Result
Once final answer key will be published, authority will announce GATE Result. It will be available via online mode. Candidates will have to use their login credentials to download result. Result will be declared on 16th March 2024. Candidates can check the GATE Rank/ Score Predictor tool to know their probable rank/ score obtained in exam.
All the details in the result must be correct & valid, in case of any mistake candidate must contact authority. At last, also take print out of your result for future use.
GATE 2024 Score Card
GATE Score card 2024 can be downloaded from 23rd March 2024 after result declaration. Candidates will be able to download their score card through login by entering application number & passwords.
The scores will be helpful for candidates to get admission in M.E/ M.Tech in various institutions. It will be valid for 3 years after result declaration. One must make sure to keep its printout safe for further admission process.
GATE Cut Off 2024
GATE 2024 Cut off will be released separately by various institutes as well as authority. Cut off are the minimum marks one have to score to qualify the examination.
Cut off marks of GATE varies for different category candidates. According to the previous cut off trends, the expected cut off marks are as follows:
|GATE Paper Code||Qualifying Cut off Marks (Last year cut off)|
|General||OBC-NCL/ EWS||SC/ ST/ PWD|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||28.4||25.5||18.9|
GATE Counselling 2024
GATE Counselling 2024 will be held via online mode. COAP & CCMT will conduct the GATE counselling separately. For COAP, it will start in third week of March 2024. For CCMT, it will be published later in May/ June 2024.
Seats will be allotted to candidates after downloading provisional admission letter (PAL) and after reporting at allocated institutes. Also, candidates will have to submit the fee & verify the following documents:
- 12th Marksheet
- Category certificate (if required)
- Photo ID proof
- Transfer certificate
- Migration certificate
- Self-attested photo copies of the documents & fee proof.
- D.O.B proof
- GATE score card copies, etc.