What is Civil Engineering?
This question puzzles us every time when we go for select the right one career in engineering field.
Let’s know about……
If you have interest in design, construction and creativity of natural or physical build environment, then civil engineering is the best disciplines for you to prove your ability and find the career which you wish to.
Civil engineering is second oldest professional degree in the field of engineering. In past, it was known as the “Military Engineering”.
Some of the large and world-wide popular monuments like Taj Mahal, Eifel Tower, Dubai Resort, great wall of China etc are the best example to prove that how important and valuable branch is this?
In the year 1828, civil engineering declared as the professional programme in London.
If we can describe it in few words, then will say:
“Civil Engineering is the art and mechanism of directing the power in nature for use and convenience of man. It is an art to create the developed world around us.”
No doubt that the Civil Engineering is the best art to bring us towards development.
From roads constructions, building constructions, port constructions to river and township planning & construction, all are the workplace for this engineering branch.
Course & Duration
Get Latest Career Notification about Civil Engineering, by entering your details below.
You can choose the Civil engineering, once you have completed your secondary or Sr. secondary examination.
The academic criterion of civil engineering is divided in three courses/programmes as follows:
- Diploma courses leading to the polytechnic diploma of 3 years duration.
- UG courses leading to the B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree of 4 years duration.
- PG courses leading to the M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree of 2 years duration.
- Beside these, it is one of the broad research fields leading to the PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree.
Some other courses of Civil Engineering are listed below:
- Diploma in Civil & Rural Engineering
- Advance Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Ceramics & Cement Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil Infrastructure Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil & Transportation Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Civil Structural Design
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Building Technology & Construction Management
- After the completion of 10th standard, you are only eligible to enter the diploma courses. Once you have done the 12th standard you are fully eligible to choose the UG (B.Tech) programme.
For entering in Civil Engineering, either in diploma or UG, mathematics and physics are the compulsory and has to be in qualifying examination.
For entering in PG (M.Tech) programme, B.Tech in civil engineering is must.
So now, you have a complete package of education in Civil Engineering after 10th upto research programme.
Civil engineering is a deep field of technical education. It has divided in various specializations after completed the B.Tech degree.
For make the masters in specified field by the growing global demand and extending work area, it has the following specialized academic programmes leading to the M.Tech degree.
- Materials Science And Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Municipal or Urban Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Control Engineering
So many institutions are offering the Distance Education or Online Education in Civil Engineering in India and Abroad.
In most countries, you will have to be certified by the professional body after completion your degree in civil engineering.
For this certification process, you will have to comply a range of conditions including mandatory exam and work experience before being certified. Then you will be designated as the Professional Engineer (USA, Canada & SA), a Chartered Engineer (Commonwealth Countries), and European Engineers (European Countries).
To get admission in civil engineering courses, you are needed to qualify the JEE Main 2022 (national level exam). Candidates can also apply for JEE Advanced 2022 & GATE 2022 examination for admission to the B.Tech & M.Tech courses respectively. Other state and university level exams are also organized for providing admissions such as BITSAT 2022, IPU CET 2022, BVP CET 2022.
Some good colleges to pursue civil engineering are given here:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
Jobs & Career
“Lots of job opportunities are available for the Civil Engineers in both sectors”.
By the modern civilization and facilitation of current period, there are rich opportunities for civil engineers in entire world. Every country is in the race of development. A civil engineer can play a vital role for doing so.
Yes, you can be a part of this development.
You had chosen this field for today and now the time to prove yourself. You need to have enthusiasm and ability.
Trigger yourself and find the right career.
You can be a part of building developers, town developer, canal works, city planners, road & rail transport developer, dam & bridge developer and any workplace wherein the building/construction/physical creativity or natural resourcing creativity is involved.
After the completion of degree in civil engineering you can go for the public/private sector or government sector as well.
Here are some reputed firms which require the civil engineers whenever:
- Emmar Properties
- Marafiz Contracting
- European Contracting
- Ralls Contracting
- Black Cat Eng
- Sedrat Al Khaleej
- Silver Falkon
- MedGulfPunj Lloyds Ltd
- White Young
- Shapoorji and Pallonji
- Al Jadeed
- Double Crown
- Specialized Contracting
- Unicon Development Constructions
- PAC Constructions
In India, a student who has cleared the degree in civil engineering can get the offer of salary started from 5 lakh per annum upto 20+ lakh per annum.
In abroad the salary started from the $60000/annum to $100000/annum.
There is no criterion of salary for the brilliant or experienced candidate.