D Pharma Course
D Pharma or Diploma in Pharmacy is a professional diploma course that prepares students for careers in the pharmaceutical industry. The duration of D Pharma course is 2 years. D Pharma is appropriate for students interested in pursuing a long-term career in the medical sector of pharmaceutical sciences, beginning with entry-level positions. The course curriculum of D Pharmacy is designed to prepare applicants for applying to D Pharma jobs in hospitals, community pharmacies, and other pharmaceutical-related industries under the supervision of a certified pharmacist. After completing D Pharma, candidates can choose to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
As per D Pharmacy eligibility criteria, students need to complete Class 12 in the science stream with at least 50% marks in aggregate. Admission process of D Pharma is done on the basis of either an admission exam or a merit-based selection process. Mainly, admissions to reputed D Pharma colleges are based on the entrance score secured by the candidates. GPAT, JEE Pharmacy, and other entrance exams are among the most popular D Pharma entrance examinations. The core subjects of D Pharma include subjects like Antibiotics, Hypnotics, Pharmacology, and Toxicology. Aspirants must also check out D Pharma syllabus to acquire a good perspective on the subjects included in the course.
Some of the popular specializations of D Pharma are Master of Public Health, Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, and Pharmacy Practices. Popular colleges offering D Pharma programme to their students include Institute of Chemical Technology, Jamia Hamdard University, JIS University, and NMIMS. In India, the typical D Pharma fee ranges between INR 10,000 and INR 1 LPA per year. The D Pharma salary offered to a pharmacy diploma holder ranges between INR 2 LPA and INR 5 LPA, with the number of years of work experience and knowledge in the area the salary increases. Students can pursue higher education and other diploma programmes after completing D Pharma degree.
D Pharma Course Highlights
The course highlights of the D Pharma Course are given below.
|Full-Form||Diploma in Pharmacy|
|Regulatory Body||Pharmacy Council of India (PCI)|
|Eligibility Criteria||Class 12th Board exams with 50% aggregate mark in science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Math.|
|Entrances Exam||AU AIMEE, GPAT, etc.|
|Average Fee||INR 10,000 – INR 1 LPA|
|Average Salary Earned||INR 2 LPA – INR 5 LPA|
|Job Profiles||Pharmacists, Scientific officers, Quality Analysts, Production executives, medical transcriptionists, etc.|
|Higher Education||M Pharma, MBA in Pharmaceutical Management, PG Diploma in Pharmacy.|
Why Choose D Pharma?
Diploma in Pharmacy (D Pharma) course is a demanding course in India, which aims to train qualified candidates to fill orders under a pharmacist’s supervision, enter patient’s information, identify prescriptions, and process paperwork for orders, understand and apply drug and medical terminology, as well as basic pharmacology. Many graduates pursue careers in a hospital pharmacy or community pharmacy where they are directly involved in patient care working in partnership with physicians. The curriculum of the diploma course is designed to teach students to understand drug dosage calculations, regularly used pharmacy computer systems, compounding, pharmacy practices and procedures.
D Pharma course offers its own set of benefits and chances that distinguish it from other career roles and responsibilities. The following are some of the most important reasons to take D Pharmacy courses:
- Pharmacists have a significant social responsibility since they define the health-care industry. They contribute to the health and well-being of a society’s citizens.
- Pharmacists can work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, nursing homes, colleges, and the medical business as a whole.
- Healthcare is a vocation that is constantly changing and evolving. Candidates in the healthcare field have a lot of room for advancement and development.
- D Pharma course provides flexibility, as it is a 24-hour job, it is possible to work either a day or a night shift.
When To Do D Pharma?
Students who aspire to study D Pharmacy can apply for the same after they have completed their higher secondary education. It is important to know that only students who have studied their 10+2 in science stream, will be able to apply for the D Pharmacy degree.
Important Points About D Pharma
Here are some important points that students need to remember about the D Pharma course:
- Before applying for a D Pharma degree, candidates need to complete their higher secondary education with 50% marks in aggregate.
- Physics, Chemistry, and Biology must be the core subjects of students at the 10+2 level
- Students can get admission to the D Pharma course both on a merit basis and on the basis of the score secured in the entrance examination.
- Some of the popular entrance exams for D Pharma are GATE, JEE Pharmacy, etc.
- Students have the option to complete their Bachelor in Pharmacy or in other relevant subjects after completing D Pharma.
- Candidates have the opportunity to work in both the public and private sectors of the country after completion of D Pharma.
- The average course fee of D Pharma in India ranges between INR 10,000 to INR 1 LPA.
- Popular specializations under D Pharma include Master of Public Health, Drug Regulatory Affairs, Drug Quality Assurance, etc.
List of Popular D Pharma Specialisations
There is no specific specialisation for D Pharma courses but there are many different types of pharmacy specialties offered under other pharmacy courses/degrees for master’s degree program, some of which are listed below:
|Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance||Pharmaceutical Administration|
|Master of Public Health||Drug Discovery and Drug Development|
|Pharmaceutical Biotechnology||Clinical Pharmacy|
|Drug Regulatory Affairs||Biopharmaceutics|
|Pharmaceutical market & Management||Pharmaceutical Technology|
|Phytopharmaceuticals & Natural Products||Quality Assurance|
D Pharma Admission Process
D Pharma admission process is normally determined by a candidate’s performance on the D Pharmacentrance exam. GPAT, AU AIMEE, and other key entrance tests are used for the D Pharma admission process. Some colleges also offer merit-based admission.
Admission by Merit List
- Submit your D Pharma online application form to the colleges or institutions where you want to study.
- Pass the Class 12 examinations with flying colors.
- Colleges will disclose their merit lists in due time. Check to see if you are eligible for the course you want to take.
- Visit the college and submit all relevant paperwork if you are eligible.
Note: The colleges/universities use the applicants’ qualifying exam scores as the major criterion for admission.
Admission by Entrance Exam
The following are the steps to apply for D Pharma entrance exam-based admission.
- Candidates must register on the D Pharma online application by visiting the conducting body’s official website.
- Completing the D Pharma online application form: Carefully fill out the application form with all of the required information.
- Documents to be uploaded: All essential papers, such as mark sheets, should be scanned and uploaded. Documents must be uploaded in a certain format that the institute’s application page specifies.
- Fee for application: Payment of the application fee is required.
- Admit cards are released after all candidates have been assessed for eligibility. To appear for the examination, the admit card must be downloaded, printed, and carried for exam.
- Exam: Study the curriculum and previous exam papers to prepare for the exam. Attend the examination on the scheduled date.
- After a few weeks from the exam day, the results are announced. If an applicant passes the admission examinations, he or she will advance to the next phase.
- Counselling and admission: Students who have passed the D Pharma entrance exams are offered counselling. The student is now eligible to enroll in the D Pharma course.
Note: For D Pharmacy admission, several colleges/universities administer an entrance exam. Admissions are granted based on the results of the candidates’ D Pharmacy entrance exams.
D Pharma Eligibility Criteria
To apply for D Pharma college admission, those interested in pursuing the course must satisfy all the Eligibility Criteria required for D Pharma admissions. In csse any candidate fails to satisfy either of the eligibility criteria, they will not be considered eligible for applying to D Pharma admissions process. Therefore, the list of D Pharma eligibility criteria us mentioned below:
- The candidate must have graduated from a recognised board with a Class 12 or equivalent.
- All must have the following in their 10+2 as mandatory subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Mathematics.
- The candidate must have an overall grade point average of at least 50%.
- Candidates from the SC/ST/OBC, differently-abled, and other categories will receive a 10%-mark reduction.
Note: Candidates must meet the mentioned D Pharma eligibility criteria to be accepted for admission to top universities offering a D Pharma course. In addition, candidates must submit the D Pharma online application form to the colleges or institutions where they want to study.
D Pharma Course Syllabus
Traditional yearly-based D Pharma course curriculums are used to teach this Diploma in Pharmacy programme. The detailed D Pharma syllabus for the two years is listed below. The D Pharmacy syllabus may vary to some extent depending on the curriculum of each institute, but the core structures and themes for the entire curriculum offering this diploma course stay the same. The D Pharma subjects taught in first and second year are listed below.
Here is the D Pharma syllabus for two years respectively tabulated below.
|First Year||Second Year|
|Pharmaceutics I||Pharmaceutics 2|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry 1||Pharmaceutical Chemistry 2|
|Biochemistry Clinical Pathology||Antibiotics|
|Human Anatomy Physiology||Hypnotics|
|Health Education Community Pharmacy||Pharmacology and Toxicology|
|–||Drug Store Business Management|
|–||Hospital Clinical Pharmacy|
Course Curriculum for D Pharma
The D Pharmacy course curriculum and D Pharmacy subjects are highlighted in the following section.
|Pharmaceutics I||Introduction to different dosage forms|
|Packaging of pharmaceuticals|
|Size separation by Shifting|
|Clarification and Filtration|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry 1||Acids, Bases and Buffers|
|Definition, History, and Scope|
|Various systems of Classification of Drugs and Natural Origin|
|Adulteration and drug evaluation|
|Biochemistry Clinical Pathology||Introduction to Biochemistry|
|Human Anatomy Physiology||Scope of Anatomy and Physiology|
|Health Education Community Pharmacy||Concept of Health|
|Nutrition and Health|
|Environment and Health|
|Fundamental Principles of Microbiology|
|Pharmaceutics 2||Reading and Understanding Prescriptions|
|Study of Various types of Incompatibilities|
|Types of Powders|
|Lipids and Dosage forms|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry 2||Introduction to Nomenclature of Organic Chemical Systems|
|Antiseptics and Disinfectants|
|Pharmacology and Toxicology||Introduction to Pharmacology|
|Scope of Pharmacology|
|Drugs: Their Advantages and Disadvantages|
|General Mechanism of Drug Action|
|Drugs acting on the Central Nervous System|
|Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence||Origin and Nature of Pharmaceutical Legislation in India|
|Principles and Significance of Professional Ethics|
|Pharmacy Act, 1948|
|The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940|
|The Drugs and Magic Remedies Act, 1954|
|Drug Store Business Management||Introduction|
|Drug House Management|
|Recruitment and Training|
|Banking and Finance|
|Introduction to Accounting|
|Hospital Clinical Pharmacy||Definition, Function, and Classification of Hospitals|
|The Drug Distribution System in the Hospital|
|Drug Information Service|
|Introduction to Clinical Pharmacy|
|Modern Dispensing Aspects|
D Pharma Course Fees
The D Pharma fee varies depending on the college or school. The D Pharma course fee normally ranges between INR 10,000 to INR 1 LPA. Furthermore, candidates that fall into one of the reserved category groups or quotas receive a grant from each college/university.
D Pharmacy Scope in India
Pharmacy is a clinical discipline that covers a wide range of topics relating to drug development, production, distribution, and proper use. Pharmacy, being a growing business, offers a wide range of job opportunities. As a result, a wide range of degrees is available within this sector. D Pharmacy course is one such degree offered by the Best Pharmacy Colleges in India. The learnings of patient healthcare services are also covered in the D Pharma course curriculum of this degree, in addition to the fundamental courses of pharmacy. D Pharma courses offer a wide variety of applications in India and internationally due to the extensive number of courses available.
Following completion of D Pharmacy, individuals will have a wide range of opportunities in both academic and professional domains. You can pursue them based on your preferences and interest.
If you have completed your D Pharma course, you can continue your education by pursuing a Bachelor of Pharmacy or 2nd year B Pharma. At many private and government hospitals, you can find work related to D Pharma jobs at a drugstore. You can start your own pharmacy, or work in retail or wholesale, and become an entrepreneur. Health centers, drug control administration, and medical dispensing stores are all good places to look for D Pharma candidates.
After completing this D Pharma course, the students can work in the following positions in India:
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacy Director
- Hospital Staff Pharmacist
- Medical Writer
- Pharmaceutical Advisor
- Medical Safety Physician
- Supply Logistics leader
- Drug Safety Associate
- Government Agencies in India in which candidates can work:
- Government Hospitals
- Staff Selection Commission
- Government Colleges & Universities
- Sports Authority of India
Employment areas for D Pharmacy
You can work in a variety of fields with a diploma in pharmacy. Here are a few D Pharma employment areas where you might be able to find work:
- Pharmaceutical Firms
- Sales and Marketing Department
- Research Agencies
- Food and Drug Administration
- Government hospitals
- Community health centres
Graduating from a prestigious pharmacy school ensures excellent placements and the opportunity to settle abroad.
Difference between B Pharmacy and D Pharmacy
The profession of pharmacy has grown in popularity during the last few years. Pharmaceutical sciences cover a wide range of topics in medicine, drugs, research, and education. The need for pharmacy graduates has risen dramatically in India due to the rising scope of pharmacy.
For those interested in a career in the pharmaceutical industry, India offers three primary pharmacy courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. At the undergraduate level, students can select between Bachelor of Pharmacy and Diploma in Pharmacy programmes. At the postgraduate level, a master’s degree in pharmacy is available (M Pharm).
|Particulars||Diploma in Pharmacy (D Pharm)||Bachelor of Pharmacy (B Pharm)|
|Name of the course||Diploma in Pharmacy||Bachelor of Pharmacy|
|Level of education||Undergraduate||Undergraduate|
|Course type||Diploma course||Degree|
|Duration of course||2 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||Passed class 12 with 55% marks||Qualified class 12 with at least 55% marks|
|Subjects studied||Physics, Chemistry, Biology||Physics, Chemistry, Biology|
|Admission criteria||State entrance exams, university entrance tests, counseling based, merit-based admission||National/State level entrance tests|
|Exams accepted||AP EAMCET, state level counselling||BITSAT, AP EAMCET, MET, UPSEE, WBJEE, TS EAMCET|
|Subjects included in the course curriculum||D Pharma subject list consists of the following D Pharm subjects: Human Anatomy & Physiology, Health Education & Community Pharmacy, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence, Drug Store and Business Management, Hospital & Clinical Pharmacy, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Biochemistry & Clinical Pathology, etc.||Pharmaceutical Analysis, Remedial Mathematical Biology, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Basic Electronics & Computer Applications, Pharmaceutics, Mathematics, Anatomy, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Pathophysiology of Common Diseases, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence & Ethics, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Industrial Management, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 80,000||INR 2.8 LPA|