Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology or BSc MLT/MLS is an undergraduate course of 3-year, which is divided into six years (two semesters per year). In this course professionals are taught about various aspects of health care. The students perform various diagnostic analyses on body fluids, which include hematology, bacteriology, immunologic, chemical and microscopic during the course. The subjects taught in the program are Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab, Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab, Diagnostic Cytology etc.
The candidates need to secure a minimum pass percentage in their 10+2 examination in the science stream with PCMB as compulsory subjects to be eligible for the BSc MLT course. The colleges and universities that offer BSc MLT courses provide admissions to the students on the basis of entrance examinations conducted by the individual institute and some private institutions also provide direct admissions to the students.
It is also based on reports required to treat with the best medical procedures and facilities. In the modern era of medical science, treatment has completely relied on the tests performed in the laboratory.The average annual salary in these roles ranges from INR 2 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum and the salary keeps on increasing with experience and expertise.
The graduates of BSc MLT degree programs have a huge scope of securing a career in various fields after the completion of the course. A talented MLT graduate can earn a challenging profession in any of the public or private sector hospitals like, blood donor centres, emergency centres, laboratories, and so on.
Listed below are some key highlights of Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology course:
|Course||B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology)|
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Related Full Forms||Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology, Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Eligibility||50% in 10+2 from any Recognized Education Board|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam and Merit-Based|
|Average tuition fees||INR 10K – 4L per annum|
|Job Positions||Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Phlebotomist, Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Lab Technologist, Biochemist, Medical Phlebotomist etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2L – 6L per annum|
What is BSc MLT/MLS ?
The BSc MLT course fees may vary from one college to another. The average fees of the course range from INR 10,000 to 4 Lakhs per annum.
The job opportunities in this field depend on the basis of academic and technical skills of the technologist or technician. Candidates can work as Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Phlebotomist, Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Lab Technologist, Biochemist, Medical Phlebotomist etc.
Why Study BSc MLT/MLS?
Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology is one of the perfect courses for those students who want to make themselves comfortable in the medical field because in this course the graduates will go through the required training and gain the required skill set to work efficiently.
- Medical Science is one of the finest and most in-demand courses joined by candidates with an interest in the healthcare sector.
- Medical lab technicians play a crucial role in the functioning of any medical activity.
- BSc MLT syllabus consists of subjects that equip candidates with the skills required to handle advanced equipment so as to perform accurate laboratory tests.
- This degree course empowers the students to go for various educational, hospitals and governmental as they can run laboratories, consultancy services, health care centres.
- This enables the degree holder to go for higher degree programs in respective subjects for a master’s degree and then further studies.
BSc MLT/MLS Course Admission Process
Admission to the BSc MLT course is usually entrance based but some colleges and universities grant direct admission for this course. The marks obtained in the qualifying examinations are considered for the purpose of offering admission to the students.
- After successfully applying for admission to the respective colleges, candidates will be asked to appear for the selection processes as defined by each individual college.
- Prior to the selection process, the medical universities/colleges will release the appropriate merit lists containing the names of the candidates along with their ranks, which would be calculated based on previous academic records.
- The medical college/institutions will then call the students for counseling rounds, where each candidate will be able to select the course and college of their choice.
- Depending on the rank of the candidate as per the merit list, their preferred choice of college/university and the availability of seats in the preferred choices, the medical college/university will offer admission to the aspirant.
- After applying for the required entrance test, as per the regulations of the respective colleges, candidates must appear for the entrance test on the stipulated date and time.
- After attempting the entrance exam, the conducting body will release the appropriate merit list containing the name of the candidates along with their scores and ranks.
- Unlike other disciplines, medical institutions depend on counselling processes to offer admissions to candidates.
- Based on the ranks and the scores of the aspirants as per the entrance test and the merit lists prepared by the institution, each candidate will be asked to appear for the counselling processes conducted by the authorised body.
- At the counseling centre, candidates will be asked to select their preferred course and college/university.
- The medical college/institution will offer admission to the courses based purely on ranks and scores obtained by the applicants in the entrance examination, the course & college chosen and the availability of seats in the preferred choices.
BSc MLT /MLS Course Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue BSc MLT course must meet up with the following eligibility criteria. The minimum marks required in 12th class may vary from one college to another college.
- The basic eligibility criteria of the BSc MLT course is that the candidates should have qualified their 10+2 in the area of Science with mandatory subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- The candidate should pass their 10+2 with a minimum aggregate of 50% or equivalent from the recognized education board.
BSc MLT/ MLS Course Entrance Exams
Admission to BSc MLT/ MLS is either entrance based or merit based. In an entrance-based method, students are required to qualify an entrance examination in order to seek admission in any concerned college or university. Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into BSc MLT/MLS course is given below:
Some of the top Exams with important dates are mentioned in the table below:
|Name of the Exams||Registration Dates||Exam Dates|
|NPAT||December 01, 2022 – May 21, 2023||January 04, 2023 – May 31, 2023|
|CUET||To be Announced||May 15 – 31, 2024|
|CUCET||November 28 – May 29, 2023||November 28 – May 30, 2023|
|SET||December 10 – April 12, 2024||May 2024|
How to Prepare for BSc MLT/MLS Course entrance exam?
The most important for a student is to decide factors responsible for succeeding in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern. Here are some tips that all the candidates should follow while preparing for the entrance exam of BSc MLT / MLS :
- Aspirants should make a proper study plan so that they can prepare well before the examination and score good marks.
- Knowing the syllabus is very important which helps students to keep focused on essential topics and key points during the time of examination.
- Candidates need to practice and revise more before the exams so that it will help them to remember the topics studied earlier so that it reduces unnecessary pressure on the day of the examination.
- Having a test preparation book for your entrance exam can help to familiarize you with what types of questions will be asked in the exam, how they are worded, and what exam scorers are looking for in answers.
- One of the best ways to help you prepare for the entrance exam is to take practice versions of it. This has many benefits like you will become familiar with the question wording and style, you will be able to narrow what kind of information might show up on your entrance exam, you will have a control against which you can measure your progress as you continue to study and prepare for the exam.
How to get Admission in a Good BSc MLT/ MLS Course college?
To get admission in the best college of Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology you should keep some important points in your mind. So here are some tips for getting into the college of your choice:
- Students should use their application essay as a chance to show their personality in front of the admission officer.
- It’s important to make every effort to visit each school that your child is interested in. Not only will you get a feel for campus life, but you’ll be expressing your interest in the school as well as have an opportunity to ask important questions.
- Along with the essay, an interview is another way for a student to convey his/her personality to admissions officers.
- Take advantage of college fairs and other opportunities to collect information about different colleges/universities because many institutions will keep track of the students who seek out information, updating their files every time prospective candidates make a campus visit or take a tour.
BSc MLT/MLS Syllabus
B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) course syllabus is divided into 6 semesters, teaching subjects like are Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab, Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab, Diagnostic Cytology etc. Tabulated below is a semester-wise syllabus of the course.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Human Anatomy I||Human Anatomy II|
|Human Physiology-I||Human Physiology II|
|Health Education & Health Communication||Bio-Medical Waste Management|
|PC Software Lab||Human Anatomy-II|
|Human Anatomy-I Lab||Practical: Human Physiology-II|
|Human Physiology-I Lab||Practical: Biochemistry-I|
|Biochemistry-I Lab||Communication Lab|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Pathology-I||Pathology – II|
|Clinical Haematology-I||Clinical Haematology-II|
|Immunology & Serology-I||Immunology & Serology-II|
|Histopathology & Histotechniques -I||Histopathology & Histotechniques -II|
|Clinical Haematology-I Lab||Clinical Haematology-II Lab|
|Microbiology, Immunology & Serology – I Lab||Microbiology, Immunology & Serology – II Lab|
|Histopathology & Histotechniques -I Lab||Histopathology & Histotechniques -II Lab|
|SEMESTER 5||SEMESTER 6|
|Immunohematology & Blood Banking||Clinical Endocrinology &Toxicology|
|Clinical Enzymology & Automation||Advanced Diagnostic Techniques|
|Parasitology & Virology||Diagnostic Molecular Biology|
|Diagnostic Cytology||Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab|
|Principles of Lab Management & Medical Ethics||Advanced Diagnostic Techniques Lab|
|Clinical Enzymology Lab||Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab|
|Parasitology & Virology Lab||Internship Project|
|Diagnostic Cytology Lab|
BSc MLT/MLS Jobs
We have Listed some of the popular job positions offered to successful graduates of the discipline along with the corresponding job descriptions and average annual salaries offered to the graduates of B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology):
|JOBS||DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Medical Record Technician||A Medical Record Technician maintains medical records operations by following policies and procedures, reporting needed changes, they initiate medical record by searching master patient index, they ensure medical record availability by routing records to emergency departments.||INR 4.3 Lakhs|
|Medical Officer||Medical Officers responsibilities are to overseeing the medical care of patients and the functions performed by medical staff, they may participate directly in care when services are being initially implemented, they help assess and diagnose needs and plans of action for individual and families.||INR 5.12 Lakhs|
|Laboratory Manager||The lab manager’s responsibility involves, to conduct testing in timely manner, personally reviewing any abnormal results to find the root of the irregularity. The laboratory quality manager also hires and manages staffs, ensuring that all employees are receiving proper training or not.||INR 2.41 Lakhs|
|Lab Assistant||A lab assistant takes notes, record data, and results, and organize documentation, transfer data and results from notes and records to computer formats, organize and maintain lab storage, samples, lab assistant follow all health and safety regulations when handling laboratory specimens, they identify and label samples, and prepare equipment and workspace.||INR 2.07 Lakhs|
BSc MLT/MLS Scope
The scope of this course is very wide and after B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) course, candidates can get so many best opportunities in many fields anywhere in the world. The scopes after this course are:
- A career in Medical Laboratory Technology field is one of the most challenging and satisfying careers in today’s market. Every day, a technician/ technologist gets to learn something new, which is great for their career.
- A number of Medical Laboratory Technicians can find employment in pathology labs, research labs, urologist offices, pharmaceuticals, hospitals and in many other areas.
- Apart from the above opportunities, an aspirant can also pursue a career in the education line as lecturer/teacher.
- With the passing years, the course has multiplied in terms of what a student learns during the course, thereby multiplying the scope as well and the scope has expanded with a number of opportunities have been on the rise.
- The Medical Laboratory Technology field includes areas such as blood banking, clinical chemistry, haematology, immunology, microbiology, cytotechnology, urine analysis, and blood sampling, etc. There are ‘n’ number of fields that can serve as suitable career options for the graduates.
B.Sc. in MLT/ MLS provides ample job opportunities in the Healthcare sector. Every hospital and healthcare sector needs clinical lab technicians to detect problems and diseases causing the patients hence it is creating more job opportunities for the graduates of B.Sc. in MLT/MLS . Medical Laboratory Technology professions have a positive impact on people’s health. Some of the jobs that are offered for B.Sc. in MLT/ MLS graduates are:
- CT scan technicians
- Pathology Technician
- MRI technicians
- Optical Laboratory Technician
- X-ray Technicians
- Dental Machine Technician
- Radiology Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Laboratory Manager
- Medical Officer
- Research Associate
- Medical Record Technician
- Resident Medical Officer
- Lab Assistant
- Laboratory Testing Manager